Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wheel13 Mark W.
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
All,

My 74 TR6 has been starting fine until yesterday, when I turned the key and got nothing. No click, just silence. After looking on this forum I looked for loose wires and all looked good. Found two (!) seat belt buzzers (both looked like OE), one that is not connected, another with a 12 wire pin firmly in its hole.

I also checked what I think is the relay on the driver's fender well and everything seemed connected.

But then based on something I read I put the car in gear and rocked it back and forth and sideways. When I turned the key it started to crank but the engine didn't catch. When I tried it again--nada.

So I'm thinking it's not the wiring but the starter or starter solenoid that's bad? If y'all agree, is this a DIY for a newbie? And/or, would you rebuild or replace, or buy the gear reduction starter?

As always, thanks!
--Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
I just want to understand what you meant by: " When I tried it again--nada"
Did that mean no reaction from the starter, no click, no noise, just as if you never turned the ignition key ? What about the IGN lamp in the tachometer, did it illuminate? How about the horn, does it work ?

Wheel13 Mark W.
Sorry Poolboy, for being imprecise. The answer to all your questions is yes. No sound, no reaction from starter, nothing, when i turned the key the second time. The battery is only a month old, headlights are strong, horn blows, ign light is on, even the fasten seat belt "sign" on the dash lights up.

BTW, I did rock it again but it didn't work this time. Nothing when I turned the key.

Thanks!

mw

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
OK since you have a 74, Mark, try this.
Unplug the 12 pin plug from the seatbelt buzzer.
Then get a piece of copper wire about 2 inches long and strip off about 1/2" of the insulation on each end.
Twist the exposed strands so as to make them tightly wound and small enough in diameter to fit into the adjacent sockets in the 12 pin plug for the white/red and the white/orange wires
In effect you will be using the 2 inch copper wire to connect (splice) the w/r to the w/o wire.
Make sure the "splice" is tight, then see if your starter comes to life when you twist the ignition key to the START position.
If it does, cut the 2 wires and make a real splice connecting the 2 wires together and at least that problem will be solved.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Well that would be a lot cheaper fix than a new starter! Okay, I'll try it and let you know.
Thanks so much Ken!
Best,
Mark

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Possibly it was already done by a PO because most of us who have had 74's have had to do that. If not, then it's going to be your job. In 75 the factory did it for us.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Maybe. But it's odd there would be two seat belt buzzers, and they both look like OE to me, as if a bad one was replaced way back when. The buzzer has never buzzed for me, thankfully.

Attachments:
IMG_0681.jpg    26.1 KB
IMG_0681.jpg

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Compare the 74 wiring schematic to the 75's wiring schematic...you'll see what I said is true.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Ken,

First off, when I said "maybe" in my last post I wasn't questioning you, but whether the PO made this fix. He didn't. So: just started working on this and while I was trying to get the plug out I thought I'd see if it would start just from my jiggling it. And it did. I started it about ten times or so before it went dead again. Jiggled the plug and--yup--it started again.

So, first, you the man Ken! Second, I'm thinking I'm probably safe in going ahead and cutting the wires and splicing them together. Do you agree?

Thank you!

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Yeah, Mark..if the circuitry in the buzzer was the reason that the starter would not engage, bypassing the buzzer by splicing the 2 wires as the 75 cars would be "the fix".
And... if the circuitry within the buzzer happens not to be the culprit, you won't be doing any harm by splicing the 2 wires together.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Sounds good. Thanks again Ken!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster