Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

elctriumph Avatar
elctriumph Eugene Campbell
King William, Virginia, USA   USA
Can someone tell me the technical name for the switch on the engine block (near the oil filter) on a tr 6 engine block....it has three prongs to connect to...is it an oil sensing unit that tells you when engine oil is low?...does this switch send a signal to the orange light on the dash ?....thanks gene

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Gene
That is indeed an oil pressure switch (AM7 here http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/21.php).
3 prongs mean you have an anti-run-on-valve under your carbon canister (so a later TR6, like my '74).

Are you having trouble with it?

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
From 73 on, the 3 pronged 'oil pressure switch' did more than just turn on the LOW oil pressure warning lamp.
It also provided a ground for the circuit for the Anti Run-on Valve.
That's the short version.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
elctriumph Avatar
elctriumph Eugene Campbell
King William, Virginia, USA   USA
thanks for your quick reply.....the switch is three prong ...and I just noticed the other day one of the prongs is broken,...the switch has not been attached for some time....it was that way when I bought the 1974 TR 6 back in Nov 16....does it hurt to have the switch not plugged up other than the orange light does not light up when oil pressure is low....my oil gauge on the dash works...I think I am going to order a new one....is it just a matter of screwing out the old and replace with the new??...thanks,Gene

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
There are 3 corresponding wires that should be attached to the switch.
The terminals on the switch are labeled

The black wire goes on terminal P
The white/brown on terminal S
The white/purple on terminal I
When you get a little ahead buy this...you'll either be glad you did or sorry you didn't
https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/books-videos/electrical-maintenance-handbook

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster