Pertronix Ignition
  This topic is about my 1974 Triumph TR6
bluefish Avatar
bluefish Silver Member Al Miller
Canastota, New York, USA   USA
1952 Chevrolet 3100
1974 Triumph TR6 "TR In A Basket"
Correct wiring between the coil and distributor? 74 TR6

Installed a Pertronix electronic ignition along with a Pertronix ignitor coil as part of installing a new wiring harness.

I connected the pink and white wires from the wiring harness to the positive side of the coil along with the red wire from the distributor to the positive side. I connected the black wire from the distributor to the negative side of the coil.

Is that correct? I didn't receive any instructions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
That's wired correctly. But the Pertronix Ignitor needs at least 8 volts to operate properly and the ballast wire if still active may not provide that amount.
With a 74, it's simple to bypass the resistor wire and have 12 volts feeding the coil when the engine is running, but you'd have to replace the coil with a 3.0 ohm coil..or you could keep things as is but run the Pertronix red wire to the white wire side of the fuse feeding the green wire circuit.
Before you do anything you should check the voltage feeding the coil.
My 74 had nearly 10 volts coming thru the ballast resistor wire, so I was good with the Pertronix.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
This might help. As you can see, Pertronix does not recommend feeding the module from the ballast resistance, even if the voltage is above 8 volts.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffZmRHc1ZOMEZ0dUU

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
It seems 9 out of 10 Petronix problems seem to be due to owners feeding 'resistance' power to their module.

I have ranted befor about that darn Pink and White wire. IMHO it is better to do away with the stupid thing, and use a proper, visable, by-passable, replaceable resistor module if need be.
ln my case, that was an easy decision, the stupid wire had melted, and taken a good bit of wiring harness with it.

I guess 'resistance was futile' ;-)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster