Normal oil pressure

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Toronto, ontario, Canada   CAN
Im new to TR6 s just bought my first one, a 73. I am wondering what the normal reading on the oil pressure gauge is at idle and around 3000 rpm. Mine drops to around 20 psi at idle and seams to reach about 50psi at 1/2 throttle. It climbs as high as 60psi, but I have not had the engine above 4200 rpm.

Thanks
Jordan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Those are the same readings as my '74, which has a non-rebuilt 95k mile original engine.
Are you running 20w50 oil?

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
I believe so. The oil and filter were changed just before I got the car. The spare bottle in the trunk is 20w-50. The engine has about 95,000 showing on the odometer , but who knows how off that is. Burns no oil just leaks it. Ha Ha
Jordan
CF7443UO

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
If you have over 10 psi per 1,000 rpm when hot* consider it OK.

* Hot will be after aprox 30 mins at highway speed using an xxW-40 or xxW-50 weight oil.

Rex A Lott Avatar
Rex A Lott Steve Kincaid
Newcastle, Washington, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Trix"
You’ll notice much higher pressure w cold engine. This is normal. My engine acts the same. 50-60 PSI cold while revving.
Note your engine has an oil pressure control valve. If your pressure ever jumps (way) above 60 you need to replace this valve ASAP.

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Your readings seem fine. Use a 15W50 (Mobil 1), or 20W50 (other synthetics) oil that states high zinc content (these engines need it to keep wear down). At least get a Haynes manual and hopefully you got the tools, because welcome to "tinkering 101". These cars have a lot of oddities, that I guess make them unique and fun to drive and work on.

Check out Obsolete Automotive in Sarnia, ON: https://obsoleteauto.com/ Not the easiest web site to use but they have stock on hand and you'll get parts in a day, or two. Also some good maintenance and repair tips.

Others are: Moss Motors (US), TRF (US), BPNW (US), Rimmer (UK)

For specialty TR6 products: Good Auto Parts (US) and Revington TR (UK)

Remember to use the search feature on this website before asking any questions, because I believe every topic has been covered and answered thoroughly.

Welcome aboard!

Dentman Avatar
Dentman Dave U
Straffordville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
1974 Triumph TR6 "Ducky"
For parts try British Auto Sport on hwy 5 near Troy. Fred is really good to deal with and knows Triumphs well.
He also has a lot of parts in stock and picks up every week.

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Thanks for the input. What about Peninsula Import auto parts in Oakville. They seam expensive, but they are close to me and had the seat belt I wanted in stock. I am thinking of putting a 13 inch or 14 inch steering wheel on the car, due to fitment issue of my body size, any one tried a 13 inch wheel.

Thanks
Jordan

DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
I purchased an interior panel kit from Peninsula - I had no problems. They have had mixed reviews from my fellow Toronto Triumph Club members - some because of price, incorrect parts, etc. I think that in a pinch they can be helpful. I second British Auto Sport - I have purchased MANY parts from Fred.

BTW, where in Toronto are you (I am Bloor West Village)?

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My engine was rebuilt 2 years ago, and cold it pushes 100psi at 3,000. I try and keep it below 2,500 when cold til she warms up a bit. At idle hot around 25 psi, at 3,000 about 65 psi to 70 psi.

I run Rotella T5 10W-50.

Thanks,
Perry

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Derek. I am located in Don Mills 401 and Leslie area. Thanks for the parts supplier input. , I am sure I will need additional parts this winter. Shes a driver more than a show car and there are a # of projects planned for this off season. Got the Haynes book and Auto press shop service book with the car. Have the tools from years of repairing other toys. The garage is heated but crowded.

On a side note , since Friday last have clocked about 750 miles on the car with only one new squeak from the rear passenger break. Car keeps temp , OD works .

Thanks
Jordan

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada   CAN
My engine has over 95K on it and cold it pushes 100psi and 25 at hot idle and 60-70 around hot cruising.
I run 20W-50 purchased from Fred at BAS, he has a good reputation.

I used Peninsula for some parts and had bad experiences. Fred is only 35 mins for me.

Good luck with your TR, only had mine for 10 months and done a ton of work already.

Andy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links