Distributor wobble

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Frogwatch Gary Silva
Santa Cruz, CA., USA   USA
I recently was driving along on a beautiful sunny day when my 71 TR6 began to run very rough, I pulled over, popped the hood and started pulling plug wires while the car ran at idle. It appeared to be hitting on all 6 but still ran rough. I then pulled the distributor cap and and noticed both the cap as well as the rotor looked quite ragged. I made sure the rotor was fully seated and it was, but in doing so I noticed the distributor shaft had some side to side movement. I'm assuming my distributor is worn out but unsure. Can someone educate me on this before I order a new one.........Thank you for your time........Regards Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1493286 by Frogwatch I recently was driving along on a beautiful sunny day when my 71 TR6 began to run very rough, I pulled over, popped the hood and started pulling plug wires while the car ran at idle. It appeared to be hitting on all 6 but still ran rough. I then pulled the distributor cap and and noticed both the cap as well as the rotor looked quite ragged. I made sure the rotor was fully seated and it was, but in doing so I noticed the distributor shaft had some side to side movement. I'm assuming my distributor is worn out but unsure. Can someone educate me on this before I order a new one.........Thank you for your time........Regards Gary

Gary --- Excess play in the bushings that house the rotor shaft can cause some fluctuation in the points opening (gap) but the wear here takes place over many thousands of miles. Fix this when time permits, but I suspect there's another reason for this sudden roughness in the engine.

Dick

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The wear takes place over many thousands of miles, but at some point it reaches a point (or happens to wobble in such a way) as to cause a definite problem.

Many owners neglect to apply oil to the distributor (as required) which of course accelerates wear.

Shaft bushings are replaceable. If the shaft is also worn, longer or extra bushings can bare on an un-worn area of the shaft to return things to normal.

Electronic ignition can go a long way to negate timing scatter due to any inherent side movment in the distributor shaft.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
I have sided to side motion on my rotor shaft also, now it caused my rotor contacts to be damaged and car running rough, does anyone know where to pick up rebuilt kits for the distributor, I have look on line at all the parts suppliers and can't find anything other then a rebuilt unit. I plan on pulling my engine this winter and rebuilding it and also want to rebuild the distributor. Thanks.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Contact Jeff at Advanced Distributors to schedule a rebuild.

http://www.advanceddistributors.com/wordpress1/testimonials-3/

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1493408 by gozto11 Good article here

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-11/TR6-11.html

Excellent write up!

I too used the Bronze Oilite bushings, but a little longer than stock.

This is not a difficult job, and not requiring any special tools.

Would you replace the whole wheel hub for the sake of a bearing? No!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster