Removing rear part of TR6 exhaust

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

140421302 Steven Borabeck
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I am trying to remove the differential from a 72 TR6. Any suggestions on how to remove the muffler and rear part of the exhaust pipes?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
On my '72, I separated the rear part (intermediate pipes + rear muffler) of the exhaust system from the down pipes.

Then, I hit the front hanger with a hammer to bend it down (see top photo), so it would fit through the t-shirt opening, then slid the whole system (as one piece) out the rear.

The advantage to doing it this way is that it will be easy to re-fit, as a unit.
The intermediate pipes usually have to be twisted "just-so" to get it back together, this way avoids that trouble.

Diff removal
I balanced some sheets of wood on a rolling floor jack pedestal, with a sand bag atop the wood, then lowered the diff onto the sandbag & rolled it all out the back.

It is a good idea to mark (scribe or paint) where the rear propeller shaft flange meets the front of the diff flange--- this will assure maintaining the spin balance equilibrium, when reuniting the two.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-22 04:50 PM by Sapphire.

Attachments:
DSCF1134.JPG    39.3 KB
DSCF1134.JPG

DSCF1136 (1).JPG    31.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
140421302 Steven Borabeck
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for the suggestion about marking the drive shaft. Fortunately although I have all the bolts out I haven't yet broken the connection. However, my problem is how to get the exhaust pipes apart without damaging them. For example if I hammer something between them will I risk collapsing the inner pipe creating a leak when I put it back together?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1493318 by 140421302 problem is how to get the exhaust pipes apart without damaging them. For example if I hammer something between them will I risk collapsing the inner pipe creating a leak when I put it back together?

Where the down pipes meet the intermediate pipes, I used a cold chisel against the edge of the wider intermediate pipes, hitting it with a hammer. If your pipes are not rusted this may get them apart.

I ended up cutting the down pipe with a hacksaw, then drilling out the remainder from inside the intermediate pipes.
This was okay for my purposes, because one down pipe had broken off the manifold mount. I ordered a Falcon down pipe replacement for $80. from TRF.

What I recommend, if the car is driveable, is to make an appointment with a local garage operator/muffler shop that has an oxyacetylene torch & a lift, pay them what it takes to separate the pipes with the torch.
Use muffler putty on the joints when reassembling.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-22 07:07 PM by Sapphire.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster