Hand turning engine for service

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Esetter John Reed
Cape Neddick, maine, USA   USA
So, I'm finally just about ready to start my Tr. Its been off the road about a year after a dropped valve down through a piston. Afterworking on cars 8 to 10 hours every day it's hard to find the motivation to come home and work on my own stuff. The reason for my post is that I just adjusted the valves and I seem to recall a lot of questions about methods for turning the engine by hand to get the valve closed for adjustment. I've got a tool from snap-on that is like a long set of channel lock pliers that is adjustable and grips tighter the more you pull on it. It fits around the cooling fan flange and makes turning the engine a piece of cake. The tool number is PWZ2, I think this is a fairly new tool that comes in very handy for a number of things. I work in New England and EVERYTHING is seized up this tool grips suspension parts with unbelievable power when trying to do alignments.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I just pull the plugs and turn it by the fan belt.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
A Harbour Freight socket and bar on the crank or push the car while in fourth gear if the engine is in the car, or turn the engine by the flywheel if it is out.

I have owned entire cars that cost less than many Snap on tools ;-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Like this? https://store.snapon.com/Pliers-Wrenches-12-5-8-Plier-Wrench-P640879.aspx

Using a tool to turn the fan to turn the engine risks snapping a fan blade, IMHO.

I use a self built tool - see below.

A socket, to fit the crank pulley bolt, drilled and tapped to take a stud.
A length of alloy (it happened to be, from the bin) tube, threaded to take the stud.
And extended with a length of threaded rod, as the tube was too short.
End of rod bound with tape to save my fingers!

As said above, plugs out, and it becomes easy to turn the engine either way to set the valve gaps.
JOhn

Attachments:
P1030583.JPG    26.2 KB
P1030583.JPG

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
My motor is difficult to to turn, even with the plugs out.The fan belt slips using a 7/8" socket on the alternator pulley no matter how much pressure is on the belt. Pushing the car in gear is for a younger person with more room to work. I bought a remote starter switch but couldn't get access to connect the clips to the starter motor. I finally was able to adjust the valves by reaching in the car and bumping the starter with the key.

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Grr snap snap snap goes the wolf. We must find a better solution to this

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492981 by mhbva My motor is difficult to to turn, even with the plugs out.The fan belt slips using a 7/8" socket on the alternator pulley no matter how much pressure is on the belt.

Your belt is too loose, and/or, when belt does not grip the crankshaft pulley, indication that it is time to replace with a new belt.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-21 02:39 PM by Sapphire.

Esetter John Reed
Cape Neddick, maine, USA   USA
Yeah tapkajohnd, that's the tool but I never touch the fan with it just the flange. I work as a flat rate mechanic and finding the easiest (fastest) way to do a job is always a top priority. Trying to reindex a socket , push a car in gear , or bump the key hoping I get the engine to stop just right just takes to long. This tool fits right on the flange and I can easily turn the engine with one hand and be done in minutes

TomChar Avatar
TomChar Silver Member Tom Coulter
Springfield, PA, USA   USA
Similar to Marc's idea. With the plugs out, I use a box end wrench on the alternator pulley, and squeeze the fan belt to tighten it when rotating the engine, and let the belt go to "ratchet" the pulley back for another pull. The wrench never leaves the pulley the whole time. I also have a longer fan belt (mentioned elsewhere) as it moves the alternator farther from the head for easier access to the #1 spark plug. Goes pretty quick.

Tom
1974 TR6 CF24871UO. Dual Weber MCHH carbs.

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I just pull on the fan belt. Usually keeps it tight enough over the crank pulley. Need gloves though as the belt will tear up your hands. I don't have enough room on the crank nut because I have a puller electric fan now, no stock fan. Used to grab the blades of the fan and pull. They are pretty sturdy.

Perry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster