Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wheel13 Mark W.
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Hi all,

I've been ignoring the odor of gasoline in my garage for several months now but since the smell has started to make my eyes water I figured it was time to take a closer look at my 74 TR6. I'm seeing gas around the choke on both carbs, more on one than the other, but it's not dripping, even with engine running and moving the choke in and out. When i bought the car a year ago, I had the seals and gaskets replaced in both carbs. So my question is, where to start looking? The needle valves which were not replaced?

Thanks all; as always, appreciate the help.

--Mark

(P.S. It's running fine.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
It's probably the valve if the car sits for awhile some varnish might build up from the gas and the valve gets stuck I think you have no choice but to take them off and clean everything

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Have you tried tightening the 2 screws ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wheel13 Mark W.
Ralph and Ken,

Thank you. Ken, forgive my ignorance, but what screws are you referring to? It's a little intimidating looking at this.

Many thanks!

Mark

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
If you have ZS carbs, the choke component is attached to body of the carb with 2 screws where you see the holes in this picture.

Attachments:
STARTER BOX 001.JPG    45.9 KB
STARTER BOX 001.JPG

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
Since you never stated where it is leaking from from the choke maybe that nut is loose

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Don't tighten that nut.Snug is fine.It's just there to keep the fast idle cam in place on it's shaft and there is no seal around that shaft, so all that tightening the nut might do is reqiure more force to pull the choke cable.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Hi All,

Okay, so now my TR is just screwing with me. Just before writing y'all I had dried the choke assemblies with a paper towel. They've been dry ever since.
???

I also checked those screws Poolboy and they were exactly as you described--snug, but not overly tight. I left them as they were.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on the carbs. Still smelling "gas" though. I have a couple of oil leaks too; maybe that's what I'm smelling?
Sigh.
Thx,
Mark

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
eye rolling smiley The screws need to be tight...the nut needs to be snug.

Wheel13 Mark W.
All, especially Poolboy,

Just getting back to my TR6 and my leaking choke problem which isn't really leaking anymore. Ken, I'm not sure what nut you and Ralph are referring to. In the pic below I circled the two screws (on one of the carbs) you had suggested; they seemed fine, snug but not tight. But where is the nut(s) you refer to?

That said, though, I now have another, bigger issue (should I start a new thread?)---The TR died. I've been driving it this week, running fine, then this morning didn't quite catch when I turned the key, then when i turned it again--nada. Dead. No noise, electrical sound, crank, grunt.

Battery is new and cranked strong the first time. Headlights are strong. Seat belt warning and idiot light all come on when I turn the key.

Where to start checking?

Thanks all!!

Attachments:
Unknown.jpeg    39.1 KB
Unknown.jpeg

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
That is the nut just to the left of the lowest screw that you drew a circle around.
AND to be clear..the screws should be tight...the nut just snug.

Wheel13 Mark W.
Whoops. I just found a thread re: dead TR 6 with suggestions--check white/red wire and voltage, loose wires. I'll check those before circling back.
Sorry to be redundant!

Wheel13 Mark W.
Ken,

Thanks. It seems "snug." I guess I'll just keep an an eye on the assemblies for further leaks.
Best,
Mark

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster