TR6 74 bumper on 75

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jlmiami Jonathan Lewis
Hallandale, FL, USA   USA
Hi All! I am new here and just bought a 75 TR6. I plan on removing the rear bumper overriders and was wondering will a 69-74 bumper fit a 75? If anyone would like to trade i be up for that as well! Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Nemo74 Emile Bergeron
Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA   USA
No, I don't believe an older bumper will fit a '75. In 1975 the
bumper height was raised to meet federal regulations. I know
this true for the front, not sure about the rear.

Emile

Feick2 Carl F
Madison, MS, USA   USA
Many 74 -76 TR6 owners simply remove the overriders and retain the existing chrome bumper.

One suggestion.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jlmiami Jonathan Lewis
Yea I’m going to take the overriders off regardless I just love how much closer the 69-74 bumper gets to the body work, I guess I could shave the mounting bolts down a bit

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492474 by jlmiami Yea I’m going to take the overriders off regardless I just love how much closer the 69-74 bumper gets to the body work, I guess I could shave the mounting bolts down a bit

I think you meant to say 69-72 is closer to the body work.

If you think about the bumpers being raised on the late cars, that would imply the holes were higher on the valance. The holes in the front wings were raised as well.

You could change the valance and the front wings. That’s gonna cost ya.

Perhaps just pull the over riders?

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
I took my overriders off of my 1976. The entire rear bumper must be removed, overriders removed and then reinstall bumper. The front overriders will come off with bumper still mounted. I was surprised how much the overriders weighed. I estimate 50-60lbs for all four. Quite a savings and improved performance. Do it!

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If I'm not mistaken, on the early cars with the lower bumpers, all the holes are the same height. Then, when they moved the bumpers up, the holes just went higher on the valance and fenders. I guess what I'm saying is, it should fit if the mounting points are the same spacing on fenders and valance. Height should not matter.
Not sure about the mounting points on the earliest bumpers being different to allow the bumpers to be closer to the bodywork.

Perry

jlmiami Jonathan Lewis
Thanks all! Just took the overriders will share photos soon!

jomo John Morley
Guelph, ON, Canada   CAN
I have removed the front over riders on my recently purchased 74 TR6...easy. The rear bumper is giving me a problem. I can get a socket wrench on bolt inside fender, holding the side bumper and it turns freely...however nut behind bumper turns too and I can't get at to hold it...any thoughts? much appreciated.

Jomo

jlmiami Jonathan Lewis
In reply to # 1493570 by jomo I have removed the front over riders on my recently purchased 74 TR6...easy. The rear bumper is giving me a problem. I can get a socket wrench on bolt inside fender, holding the side bumper and it turns freely...however nut behind bumper turns too and I can't get at to hold it...any thoughts? much appreciated.

Jomo

Hi Jomo,

I fiddled around and was able to get the rear overriders off. Here is was I did:

If you don't have two people, place a padded folding chair underneath bumper in the center

1. You're going to need a combination of sockets, 1/2 inch, 5/8 and 9/16
2. On the inside of the rear bumper (sides) where the side part of the bumper attaches to the body you will be able to reach underneath and use the correct socket to lose the bolt.
3. After you've done both sides there is a bolt on the underside of the car that you can follow to the overrider itself, once you undo both of those there are only two left.
4. Directly behind the overrider pad you (you will need to get decently under the car for this) you will need to use a smaller socket extension and an odd angle to get to this nut
5. Once these are removed you will be able to remove the entire bumper itself.
6. You'll then see the 4 bolts on the underside of the overriders to remove them from the bumper.

- Jonathan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster