AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Alternator replacement
  This topic is about my 1969 Triumph TR6
voxboy Avatar
voxboy Silver Member Jeffrey C
Lynnwood, WA, USA   USA
I removed my alternator to replace the water pump housing and unfortunately dropped it. It was pretty banged up but also pretty old so I thought I'd buy a new one. I purchased the suggested Lucas 17ACR from Rimmer Bros (see pic). The wiring connections are very different from my old one (again, see pics). The new one has 3 connections and my old one has 5. My old alternator (probably not original?) was labeled ACR 15, 16 AND 17. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that a 17ACR would work. Do I need some kind of adapter? I've never worked on alternators before so I'm bit of a novice. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0109.jpg    51.9 KB
IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg    56.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Yeah, there is a wiring adapter, or you can cobble up your own. This document should be on the Moss web site somewhere, but they've "improved" it until it won't work with my browser setup.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffdmpEYkxNQ1hwWDQ

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

voxboy Avatar
voxboy Silver Member Jeffrey C
Lynnwood, WA, USA   USA
Thanks for your help, Randall.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SKIKIR Avatar
SKIKIR SKIP KIRCHHOFF
OREGON, USA   USA
I went to a Delco Atlernator. I could not keep Lucas alternators in my car. I went to a 75 amp Delco and used the Moss Motors adaptor and instructions and not had any problems. Very easy to do. Maybe with Electronic fuel injection, Halogen headlamps and stereo I kept burning them out.

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I actually got an alternator from AutoZone that had an original application in 78-80 Ford Fiesta's. It's a Bosch and it puts out 65 amps. Best part is, it's a direct bolt in, and plug in with the plug on my 74. Works great. Part number is 13107N, this is for the Bosch equipped ones.

Thanks,
Perry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster