TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Interior Door Panel - Window roll-up & Door open Handles: Spring position?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jdelayknee Avatar
jdelayknee Jerry Delaney
Belmont, North Carolina, USA   USA
1973 TR6
Hi All
Struggling with install of new handles. Bought total kit from TRF so I got new springs. I had removed mine 30 years ago because it was too hard to re-install or something (can't remember)
So, do they go on vinyl or particle board side? Which way do they point?

They're pretty stiff so I'm not sure I will be able to insert pins using them. Any tricks to keep pin in place if I opt out of using springs? I'm guessing the designer didn't want a visible set screw on such an elegant door handle.

Thanks
Jerry Delaney

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
I believe they point IN(small end towards mechanism, big end towards handle) and they do go BEHIND the door panel... Make sure you have the plastic piece behind the handle: Its job, besides as trim, is to hold the pin in place. EASIEST way to put the pins in is to put everything but the handle on, put the plastic piece in, and then take a long piece of welding rod the same diameter as the pin, and notch it halfway through, at about the length of one of the pins. Then put the handle in place, line up the holes(while also pushing back the black plastic piece) and push the welding rod through the hole. Once it gets to the other side, snap the rod at the notch, and let the plastic piece pop into place. Otherwise, get a set of long handle hemostats, and use them to install the pin... Pretty much the same directions- except that instead of snapping the welding rod, you release the pin from the hemostats.

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 08:41 AM by ng19delta.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I gave up using those springs years ago. Normally there is enough 'push' from the door panel card to hold the plasic ring over the pin hole.
If needed, I guess your could substitute a pad of foamrubber for the spring.

The spring is total overkill IMO.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Did you have any problem with the pin falling out 30 years ago without that spring, Jerry ?
My springs haven't been removed for that long of a time, but the pins are still there due, I believe, to the escutcheon.
I did wrap some knitting yarn behind the escutcheon to reduce some of the free space.

jdelayknee Avatar
jdelayknee Jerry Delaney
Hi All
Thanks for quick and thoughtful ideas.
Quick answer for Ken D: The 30 years was actually 20 and refers to 1994 to 2015 when my car was sidelined (under either a garage or barn) whilst I pursued family, career and self-employment initiatives. I did get the seats and door panels reupholstered but never put the handles on since the only time I ran the car was to move it or drive around the block. Top was always down so I only need the door lock handle which I carried in the door pocket.

Before my post I assembled without spring and the pin falls out because there is not enough "push" between panel and handle.

I will try a variation of Ken's yarn first because it will not require removing the panel. Since the window crank turns and the escutcheon doesn't I'm picturing the pin peeking out slightly and catching the yarn. smiling smiley We shall see.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
I just wrapped the yarn around the square shaft, between the escutcheon and the vinyl door panel.
My pin is surrounded by the escutcheon. so there's no peeking allowed.

jdelayknee Avatar
jdelayknee Jerry Delaney
Handle installation was successful. Used the forceps technique for pin insertion. The door cranks had the necessary "push" to keep pins in place. The door lock handles were real lose. Used a spare escutcheon on one door to take up slack and cut up some old gasket material for t'other. Not happy with that one as there is a noticeable gap between handle and escutcheon since I made the gasket patch small to hide the orange color.
If it proves annoying I will try Ken's yarn wrap on the other side of escutcheon. I really wanted to do it first but no yarn was handy.
Thanks again for the help.
Jerry Delaney

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster