Vacuum lines

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Joe in CA Joe W
St Helena, California, USA   USA
On to the next issue...vacuum lines. I believe the previous owner ran vacuum lines just to run vacuum lines until the engine ran smoothly. Here's what I have. The one I really have a question on is the hose that has the white plastic t connected to it, that hose goes from fuel bowl to fuel bowl and you'll see the open t fitting. Is there a diagram to show vacuum lines?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tr6 vacuum hose.JPG    53.5 KB
tr6 vacuum hose.JPG

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
I only see for (pretty) sure 2 vacuum lines. One rubber hose from the manifold to the brake booster. One hard line from the manifold to the EGR. Float bowl vents are ambient. Study the diagram. Your front carb piston damper seems off center.

You should show the year.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Those are SU carbs so I'm not sure those illustrations I posted links to are going to help you, But there are a few SU guys here, maybe someone like yycdave will be able to help..He has it right.

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I can also see the distributor vacuum line from the ported vacuum source on the SU front carb.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Ken - I should have noticed that they are SUs. Therefore, that maybe a ported vacuum line from the front carb to the distributor vacuum retard/advance (?). Again, it would be helpful if the OP provided more info/pics.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Don't feel bad Barry, I was so concentrating on the plumbing it wasn't until I took a second look that I saw what they were.

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Wow you got a hose-o-rama going on there! I guess that's the air pump bracket bolted to the front of the head. This typifies the late 70's when auto manufacturers were trying anything to reduce emissions before computers and cat converters appeared. North American V8's had so many you could barely see the engine.

yycdave Avatar
yycdave Dave More
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph TR6 "Miles"
Joe, here's the correct setup for your SU's. The slight vacuum created by there carbs helps to evacuate pressure from the crankcase which is a huge help in preventing leaks.

Also check where your carb overflow vents are routed to. I've run mine to the front of the car right by the canister. The prospect of raw fuel dripping directly onto the exhaust manifold is not particularly appealing to me.

Cheers,
Dave

76 CF58310UO

Joe in CA Joe W
Thank you all for the tips and info. I'll be able to take a look at the vacuum lines after work today. Thank you Dave for the pictures. I'll update everyone and with more pictures hopefully this afternoon.

Joe in CA Joe W
Hi Tony - The bracket is for A/C. Here's a couple more pictures.

Attachments:
IMG_2885.JPG    53.4 KB
IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG    48.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Dave, SU not my soup yet, but what clean set up you have, Had SU on my MGA, i even understood them
at one point. once balanced, never needed more than dashpot oil.and they breathed !
w

Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
I see that there is no vacuum line on the upper nipple on the EGR (not a big deal but it won't open and close). It looks like the vacuum line to the distributor advance/retard is on the front carb. Normally that comes from the rear carb unless the carbs are switched in their position. Not sure if that makes a difference. Is that an open nipple on the line that crosses the manifold?

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492362 by Marksg1 I see that there is no vacuum line on the upper nipple on the EGR (not a big deal but it won't open and close). It looks like the vacuum line to the distributor advance/retard is on the front carb. Normally that comes from the rear carb unless the carbs are switched in their position. Not sure if that makes a difference. Is that an open nipple on the line that crosses the manifold?

This TR6 has SU carbs installed. The ported vacuum source is located on the front carb for SU carbs.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Hey Joe- hope you and yours (along with your TR weren't harmed by the fires...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster