Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
Rugeley, staffordshire, UK   GBR
Hi all.
My TR6 has developed a couple of electrical problems.
1. The rear lights come on when I switch the ignition on.......can anybody explain why this happens and what I can do to remedy?
2. The LHS rear indicator light does not work. The bulk filament appeared OK, but I changed the bulb anyway, bit still not working.
Any ideas most welcome!!
Thanks
Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Mike- you have some wiring problems. If I understand your inquiry, it sounds as though what we stateside call "taillights" are wired to turn on with the ignition. They should not be wired into the ignition circuit. You should get ahold of a schematic diagram appropriate for your model year car and see how the taillight circuit is supposed to be wired. Sounds as though a prior owner may have wired the lights in a peculiar fashion to be on anytime the ignition is energized. Do your headlamps come on when the ignition is on as well?

What do you mean by LHS indicator? Is that your turn signal/trafficator? If you are describing the turn signal, check the grounding of the bulb socket in the rear light cluster. The bulbs (as you know) are contained in sockets and the socket to ground connection is often a source of trouble. Use a continuity tester to determine if you have a good ground at the socket. If the right side goes on and flashes, the odds are good you have a poor ground or interruption to the left side circuit.
PK

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
thanks for this I will investigate and revert!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
I sorted out the indicator problem. It was indeed a loose earthing wire. Still do not understand why the rear lights come on with the ignition though, but that is not urgent!!

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Mike, If it's the brake light that is coming on when turning on the ignition, then look into a bad brake light switch on the arm of the brake pedal.
A good article on making the rear cluster of lights work better by adding a bit of soldier to the brass tongue and the aluminum housing. .

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
thanks for this. I had not thought to check if it is brake lights, but logically it probably is. I will check your suggestion out! Cheers
Mike

ps you have a nice collection of vehicles!

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
Thanks for your advice. The brake light problem was indeed a faulty switch on the brake pedal arm...now replaced and working . I have also soldered new earth wires on to the indicator bulb housings which has resolved my problem there. Thanks all for your inputs and help!!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster