Motor Grenade!!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgcassidy1 Mike Cassidy
Bangor, Maine, USA   USA
Out for a weekend cruise with my son on some newly paved back country roads. This 6 is new to me, so haven't pushed it speed wise. Cruising down a slight grade @ 60mph when it lost all power & died, tried to jump it while it was still rolling, but no restart! Once it was parked we open the hood to a fair amount of oil sprayed over most of the motor on the drivers side. Check the oil level & it doesn't show anything on the stick. Before we left I had topped up with half a quart of 20/40. I plan to drop the oil pan this weekend to see if anything internal is in the pan. I've sprayed it down with degreaser, but don't see any obvious damage where the oil could be spraying from. On the tow home stopped where the power lose occurred, but there where only a few drops of oil on the ground.

Could the fuel pump be damaged that might have caused the failure to restart & the oil leak? Or the pressure relief valve? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

1976 TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Check the following

Oil filter (might be loose or have a hole in it of you have a spin on conversion)
Oil Pressure relieve valve. Make sure it didn't unscrew itself.
Oil pressure switch. Sometimes these fail and leak significant amounts of oil.
Oil Pressure line from block to gauge. These lines fail do to age.

Cheers
Tush

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
Fill it up with oil start it up and see where it's leaking from

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
You said there was no oil showing up on the dipstick and if the engine came to a stop because it lost all the oil...I'm afraid the engine, as you knew it, is shot for the time being.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
If it still turns there may be hope. As stated, fill it and see if it'll start. Probably left via the oil sender. Pretty common. Guess you didn't notice the pressure was steadily declining?

You can buy a cheap borescope or inspection camera, pop the plugs out and see what the cylinder walls look like.

Todd

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
If you do start it up and hear anything sounding like a can full of rocks rattling around...go ahead and shut her down before you do any more damage to the crankshaft.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If it were mine I would pull it and tear it down to make sure things are good.
If on the other hand you decide to just get it running again I would not drive it any further than I would want to walk. winking smiley

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Were you using synthetic oil? If so, you may have some added protection to the moving parts.

Add oil to the engine and see how much it takes to reach the full line on the dipstick. It will give you a sense of how much oil was lost.

The best case scenario is the fuel pump coming loose, spraying oil and starving the carbs of fuel. Did you move the fuel pump recently as its not a usual thing to happen?

Good Luck!

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Doesn't the oil pressure sender on the newer cars have a fuel cut-off circuit to prevent run-on? Once the oil was gone, and pressure went to zero, this would kill the engine, wouldn't it?

I had an cracked oil pressure sender blow oil all over the place two years ago. Luckily I caught it after only 2 quarts were gone. It's the quickest and cheapest option to pursue. I'd fill her back up again, fill the float bowls, see if she starts and check that sender.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sounds like some of you guys haven't had an engine seize because of lack of oil...
It's usually very destructive to the bearings and crank.

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
If the motor turned when Mike tried to bump start it, then there is no seizure. If it died right at zero pressure because of a fuel cut-off, then the engine could be just fine (bearing-wise at least).

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
We'll see..

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Tha's not a grenaded engine.

THIS is a grenaded engine!

John

Attachments:
P1000258.JPG    67.4 KB
P1000258.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
An engine that seizes through lack of oil dosent stop 'just like that. It bogs and slows down and you may find yourself giving it more gas, but with little effect.
unless you are totally mechanically insensitive, you will know something is wrong before it dies completely.

I think oil just sprayed over the ignition and killed the engine.......But then I am an optimist.

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Nothing JB Weld can't fix!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster