New Wiring Harness for '73 TR6

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Genoa Bay Eric Williamson
Genoa Bay, BC, Canada   CAN
Installing a new harness and have a question on ignition supply.
New harness only has one wire for the coil positive terminal white/yellow.
According to Dan Masters book "white/yellow ballast resister bypass from starter relay or solenoid to ignition coil (later models only)"
My car does not have a starter relay, and the other end of this wire terminates at the solenoid, so that's OK, but am I correct in assuming that I need to change my 1.5 ohm coil for a 3 ohm?

Now the rant. While reading up before starting this job, many comment that some of the lamp sockets do not fit and the old sockets need to be spliced in. Hell, even the supplied bulbs don't fit their own sockets!
Given that we are paying up to 1/2 k for these simple harnesses, which all seem to originate from the same place, and complaints seem to be commonplace, why do you think these are still being supplied this way?
Maybe the manufacturer can't be bothered and just relies on us tickerers and fettlers?

Eric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 01:54 PM by Genoa Bay.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
If that white/yellow wire goes from the solenoid to the coil, I suspect it only supplies power to the coil when the starter is engaged...if that's the case you'll need to find the one that feeds the coil once the starter is released from duty.
If you can't find a ballast resistor wire, you have a couple of choices; one of which will require a 3 ohm coil.

Ken,
Thanks for the swift reply. There is no other wire in this harness available for the coil other than the white/yellow. At this point I don't see why I would have to augment the harness as I would expect it to work as supplied. Will contact TRF and see what they say and let you know.
Eric.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
If there is a white/yellow present, then there should also be a pink/white. The earlier cars without a ballast also didn't have white/yellow.

Definitely contact TRF, sounds like they sold you a defective harness. Of course the question becomes : do you want to rip it all out and start over, or deal with the shortcomings of what you have.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Thanks,
In the pic, the capped wires are solid pink and 2 white yellow.
Only the long white/yellow shown is available for connection to the coil.
I would not say that "TRF sold me a defective harness" until I hear back from them. In any case, they passed on what was supplied to them from the distributor. Although a recent customer of TRF, I have found them helpful and attentive.
Eric.

Attachments:
image.jpg    35.2 KB
image.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Hmm, almost looks like the harness makes the joint between pink/white and white/yellow for you.
You might want to check that with an ohmmeter.

Randall

Thanks Randle,
Don't have power to the harness yet as it is still strung out alongside the car while visually checking connections.
My old harness was burned out behind the dash hence the new harness and an ignition switch.
Eric.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
What Randall said is a real possibility..
The original ballast resistor wire is a solid core wire , not a multi stranded wire and if you can find a place in your harness where that pink wire is connected to a white wire from the ignition switch that's probably what you have.....conjoined at the splice in your picture instead of being conjoined in a single spade connector at the coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 09:07 PM by poolboy.

TR3driver Randall Y
You can still check it out with an ohmmeter (DMM on ohms function). It doesn't require an external battery (it has its own).

In reply to # 1484915 by Genoa Bay Thanks Randle,
Don't have power to the harness yet as it is still strung out alongside the car while visually checking connections.
My old harness was burned out behind the dash hence the new harness and an ignition switch.
Eric.

Randall

Randall, Ken,

With a Fluke multimeter I have continuity on the yellow/white wire from the solenoid to the positive coil connection. Reading, 00.1. Is this what I'm looking for?

Supplier is saying return the harness, but are not sure what the problem is.

Basically I am trying to establish if I can use this harness, and with which coil. Would rather not instal it just to try is out.

Eric.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1484801 by Genoa Bay
Now the rant. While reading up before starting this job, many comment that some of the lamp sockets do not fit and the old sockets need to be spliced in. Hell, even the supplied bulbs don't fit their own sockets!
Given that we are paying up to 1/2 k for these simple harnesses, which all seem to originate from the same place, and complaints seem to be commonplace, why do you think these are still being supplied this way?
Maybe the manufacturer can't be bothered and just relies on us tickerers and fettlers?

Eric.

Eric:

The original sockets are NLA, so they substitute the closest available style.I suspect there is really only one supplier for the harnesses, but maybe not.

I don't know where you purchased your harness, but I got mine from Moss (Quite a while ago by now), almost all of the sockets were different, and in a few cases there was no socket, just pigtails and you needed to transfer your old socket.

The sockets supplied fit, but required a different lamp (I call them peanut lamps. The have no metal base, just a couple of wires wrapped around a flat tab of glass. They are push fit, as opposed to the push/twist bayonet lamps). They are shaped roughly like a single seed from a peanut - hence the nick name.

So, be glad that you can still get a new harness at all, the suppliers are doing the best they can to get us parts for 50 year old cars.

As an alternative, you can buy the bits and pieces from British Wiring and repair your old harness. I did this on my TR8 and it was considerably less money than new harnesses, and so far they are working fine. I rewrapped the harness with new harness tape, replaced the burned bits, and cleaned the terminals using TARN-X. British wiring supplies the correct color coded wire and the needed terminals. But even they cannot supply many of the older style lamp sockets.

All I can say is, enjoy the ride. Getting creative to keep our old cars on the road is part of the fun, in my opinion.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

TR3driver Randall Y
Find the white wire from the ignition switch. IIRC there is a connector and a sub harness to the switch. With nothing else connected, check the resistance from the white wire to the white/yellow at the coil. If I'm am guessing correctly, you should see around 2 ohms, part of which is the meter leads but most of which will be the ballast resistance inside the harness. I don't have the spec handy, but ISTR it's 1.2 to 1.5 ohms. If so, you should be able to use it as-is.
If not, I'm sure we can find a way to use it if you want.

Randall

Randall (and Ken, you were on the right track) Thanks!
That white/yellow coil lead does have a resistance of 1.4 ohm so I now know what coil to use. I now also know what to do if I elect to go with a 3 ohm coil some time later. So a good learning experience, and as I proceed with the harness installation it contributes to my understanding of the electrical workings of my car, and also highlights a few improvements that can be made.

Vance,
Fully agree that I should be glad that parts are still available, and that sometimes we have to modify what's available.
My other passion is Land Rover, so I have many years experience of making things work. I have just returned to Triumphs after a 30 year gap and it amuses me that back then I ran a 6 as a daily driver and long distance tourer with no forums to resort to!
As far as this harness is concerned, it may have helped if the manufacturer had just placed a note in the package explaining the modification. And the "peanut" bulbs supplied do not fit the screw-in gauge sockets. But I'm going for LED anyway.

Regards, Eric.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster