Getting ready to buy my first Triumph

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JBG Ben G
Portland, maine, USA   USA
Found a tr6 last weekend and think its a pretty good one. Its a 72 cc series with overdrive. Seller said it hadnt been started since last year but when we hooked up the battery it started on second try, idling with choke just slightly out. Body is in decent shape with some dents here and there (nothing huge), and hood needs some attention in an area where a previous repair of some kind wasn't painted as well as it could have been. Id call it a 20 footer paint job probably. Interior is decent with fairly newly upholstered seats. From my untrained eye the car appears to be rust free, even the frame looks great. I had this confirmed by a local mechanic that has 40+ years working on mainly triumphs. The only catch there is that the seller and him know each other well (if not friends.) Having said that they both seem very trust worthy and i serisouly doubt they are trying to pull one over on me. The car isnt actually on the market but he is willing to sell for a good price. I havent yet driven the car as it was blocked in by several other triumphs & alfas but will this weekend. Should it feel solid on the test drive as far as brakes, shifting, etc what would be a fair price? Additionally, when test driving it this weekend, what should i be on the look out for specifically? Thanks in advance!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
As you know, RUST is the big deal, pay attention to the sills (use a magnet) and the floor pans (lift the carpets)

Check engine thrust washer clearance at the front pully.

Check for clunking sounds from the rear (diff mounts)

How does the clutch feel?

Oil pressure after 1/2 drive? (Ì would screw in an independent mechanical gauge. under $10)

Perhaps do a compression test.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Post photos of engine bay, all body panels you described, interior- seats & dash & bare floors, underside where trailing arms mount & t-shirt & sills & floors.
Definitely perform a compression test, and all Tony mentioned.

From your description, fair price could be $5K - $10K. Need pics.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
roverguy Avatar
roverguy Gary H
North of Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Hi Ben:

Sent you an email.

Gary

GJH
North of Boston

Formerly 2 TR250's
Formerly Rust Bucket TR3
Formerly 80 TR8
70 TR6
82 911 SC

https://classicmotorcarconsultants.wordpress.com/

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Ben, when you get the asking price, have the mechanic show you why it's worth that much.

acltpvd charles frink
Mass, USA   USA
Ben

Here is something to think about.

If you are looking for a comfortable, quick, dependable, good looking sports car you should REALLY think about a Triumph TR8 OR a Triumph TR7. The difference between the two being the motor. The 7 has a 2.0 L 4 cylinder while the 8 has a 3.5 L V8.

The best way to compare the two types of cars (TR6 vs TR8) is to drive them both.

While I may seem a bit prejudice regarding the two , one reason could be the fact I have more than one of each. I have been an LBC lover since my forst MGA back in, well, a LONG time ago. In that time I have driven just about all of the popular LBC's and a couple of more. I found my first TR8 about 20+ years ago and have been a "WEDGE" owner since. Parts are readily available IF one needs them.

I could go on and on and on and, well, you get the idea. I would strongly suggest you have a look at either model before buying . You might also contact TWOA (Triumph Wedge Owners Assoc) regarding the marque.

Charles

roverguy Avatar
roverguy Gary H
North of Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA

edfmay Avatar
edfmay Edwin May
Loveland, Colorado, USA   USA
Ben, FYI, Leyland British Auto is 27-miles from you at: 114 River Road, Arundel, ME.
They have been in business for about 40-yrs.
www.leylandbritish.net is the web address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 07:36 PM by edfmay.

GDL412 Garry Loomis
Granville, NY, USA   USA
Ben, bough my 73 tr6 seven yrs ago, paid $5500. I can turn a wrench to a certain point. with a must need " Technical Operations Manuel " and my camera phone and this Forum i have accomplished quite a lot. take pictures before taking things apart and the guys on Tec Foram are the best, i relied on them . there's only one feeling better than working on your tr6 and that's driving it . good luck, garry

JBG Ben G
Bought it! I'm no longer getting ready to buy my first triumph. Thanks everyone!

westbo Avatar
westbo Warren Westbo
Stockton Springs, Maine, USA   USA
Congratulations, Ben and best wishes for many happy miles! Post pics so we can admire your new TR!

Regards, Warren

Warren Westbo
73 Mimosa TR6

JBG Ben G
Here she is! Now, what do i need? Have tools but anything specialized you all would recommend? Got a bentley workshop manual and will be ordering a electric wiring book soon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b9M51AvGp0rkyykn2

westbo Avatar
westbo Warren Westbo
Stockton Springs, Maine, USA   USA
Good looking ride, Ben. Dash looks sharp. Another, Mainah, too!

Warren Westbo
73 Mimosa TR6

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Ben, I envy the feeling you have right now. Take your time and enjoy.

JimmyBb Avatar
JimmyBb Jim B
Verona, Wisconsin, USA   USA
You will no longer be bored.... for lack of interesting things to do. Lots of time to have the car ready for that first, top-down ride in the spring. I was in Maine and Nova Scotia last year and keep running into a gent driving a MGB. Always had the top down. I believe he could not put the top up cause he was at least 6’7. Can’t think of anything better than running up and down the coast in a TR6. Have a great time with it!

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster