TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Rear brake replacement Kits? bad wheel bearing?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PRV Paul Vierthaler
Eastsound, Washington, USA   USA
I need to replace the rear brakes on my 73 TR6 everything! is someone selling complete kits for the rear brakes? I hate to buy one part at a time if I don't have to.

Also had some movement in the drivers side rear tires before I took it off, Would rock back and forth a little, loose wheel bearing, shot wheel bearing, other?

Thank you for your help

Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
TRF will have the brake parts and maybe even on sale , but you may have to select the individual components.
The 'tire movement ' sounds like you need a new or rebuilt hub. I'd do it before the wheel comes off when you're out for a drive.
I don't know if you've heard of Phil Jaegeling (Phil J) but he's the man that can rebuild your hubs.
If you don't know how to get in touch with Phil..PM me for his contact information.

PRV Paul Vierthaler
Thanks Ken, I will check out TRF and no I don't know Phil so would love have his contact info.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
If you send me a PM, Paul, I will reply with Phil's contact information...
Just click on "Send Message" under my name.
That's how PM's (private messages) are sent on this Forum.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477649 by PRV I need to replace the rear brakes on my 73 TR6 everything! is someone selling complete kits for the rear brakes? I hate to buy one part at a time if I don't have to.

Paul, get your '73 up on jack stands, turn out your adjusters, remove the drums, then study the condition of the shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hoses.

Brake hoses are a good item to replace, if you can't bleed fluid through them, or if they are all cracked on the rubber outside. The rears are a bit of a challenge to R&R, so make sure it is necessary, first; bleed new fluid through.

Shoes will last a long time, but you don't know what you have until you look.

Wheel cylinders you usually don't disturb, unless there is fluid leaking out of the rubber seals.

TRF, TSI, BPNW, Moss sells these quality components, as well as springs, clips, pins- all of which can clean up with a wipe down.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 06:33 PM by Sapphire.

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Paul,
You might also consider rear alloy hubs from GoodParts (Richard Good) GoodParts.com. If you do or plan to do any spirited driving, they are worth the money and they are about 1.5 lbs lighter, each. Just received a pair myself for the front.
At least that is a viable alternative.
Scott Huff

PRV Paul Vierthaler
The car is on jack stands, rear tires and drums off. Found brakes at 50% all brake line are very hard and weather checked with the wheel cylinders just starting to show signs of leaking. More disheartening was to see the all rubber grommets old and cracked, and the rear end soaked in 90 wt. on a good note there was oil still dripping which told me that it still has oil to leak out. As I stated above the drivers side rear tire was loose, like as bad bearing loose. So to me it looks like everything gets removed and rebuilt. Dang!

How big of job am I in for?
How hard is it to remove the read end?

PRV Paul Vierthaler
Thank you, I will look into the hubs by good parts

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
I just dropped the rear end due to having 2 teeth busted in the ring gear. once you have the rear outer axles out it is not too bad other then the weight of the diff. you need toe undo the 8 bolts on each inner axle, then the 4 holding it to the front driveshaft. Now the fun part, you need to support the diff from below with a jack or some other contraption. remove the 4 bolts holding the diff to the car and lower, you will want to look at the front passenger diff mount on the frame and inspect for cracks...very common.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster