AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Little Red"
. . . a very violent and sudden death . . . lol I left the engine fan on for just a little while and --- nothing. A quick boost from a friendly by-stander, (hey, it's Cape Breton --- the friendliest people on the planet), and she fired-up right away. Drove home, (about 50 miles), and parked. About 3 minutes later I tried to start and only got a grunt. It's the original battery from when I bought the car 5 years ago so I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly.

Here's my question . . . . Just spoke to my son, (works for an auto parts dealer), and he started asking about CCA's and such; pretty sure more is better, but is there a prescribed mark for this? Is there a preferred brand amongst the group?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
AC DELCO

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Many prefer the NAPA brand. I have used Costco branded battery and it still works 7 years later, even with weeks or more between starts. Added the "Lucas" sticker from TRF. Costco has since replaced its brand with Interstate, which I plan to use when it fails. Funny you should post this topic, I just added some distilled H2O to mine, yesterday.

I am sure there are multiple in-depth discussions on this topic. Just do a search on this website.
Cheers!
Scott Huff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
I don't know how true it is, but I've read that there are 3 major car battery manufacturers in the US.
Coming out of a single plant might be batteries badged NAPA, Walmart, Duralast...well you get the idea.
I have an Optima Red Top...one was in the car when I bought it and when it died, I replaced it with the same....mainly because the PO had fabricated a special hold down for the Optima style.

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
Ken,
Does your Optima have a Lucas case? Just curious. I know they are superior batteries.
Thanks,
Scott

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
No, Scott. I'm not really sure what you mean about a Lucas case.

Attachments:
Back Home 001.JPG    58.2 KB
Back Home 001.JPG

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
Ken,
I was mistaken, I should have looked it up first. I was thinking Antique Auto Battery or Restoration Battery, not Optima.

Evidently, Interstate actually makes vintage finish auto batteries. The one for TR6 is MT-24 for $128.

I have made enough modifications on my TR6 that getting an antique battery case would be a waste.

You were missed at TRF Summer Party. A couple of people commented positively on you doing some carb rebuild work, IIR.
Regards,
Scott

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
East Penn (Deka) manufacturers the NAPA battery. As well as auto batteries branded Duracell.

They're a great company - one of the largest in the world - still private, based in Lyon Station, Penn. I think they're one of the best. Good people - good products - sold them for almost 35 years. ( they also have a joint venture Canadian company)

Other major is Johnson Controls. Between the two companies they make most of the brands you know.

I like a Group size 24 in our cars - fills up the battery box nicely. 750 CCA or more will do a great job. And last a long time. Battery tenders are great in the winter months - but I suspect you know that if you got five years out of your last one.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Little Red"
In reply to # 1477248 by BraxtonO Battery tenders are great in the winter months - but I suspect you know that if you got five years out of your last one.

Best,
Braxton

Yes, Braxton, always plugged in both the bike and the Little Red once they were tucked-in for the winter . . . .

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
I have a group 34 Diehard with 880 CCA that was installed 9 years ago this month. It has always been on a Battery Tender. Still going strong.

Tote Tony M
A reminder that seldom do batteries just quit, but rather it is a decline where starting becomes an issue and lights dim when idling. When the battery is in a reduced condition from age, the alternator is now taking up the slack and working harder. It is trying to keep a battery charged that can't keep a charge, so the alternator just keeps on pumping out power to the battery. We all want to get the most out of a product, a car battery in this case, before replacing something but eventually the alternator will fail prematurely from being overworked. If you have a weak battery, replace it, don't stress your electrical system any more that it has to be.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
I've got Optima Red Tops in both the TR3 and the Miata. These cars are kept long term, so an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type battery is just the ticket. More expensive, but they'll last for many more years than a typical lead/acid battery. The AGM that was originally in my Miata from new lasted 15 years. AGMs also have a very low standing discharge rate. I can let my TR sit all winter in the garage and only have to charge it up every couple of months. I don't use a battery tender and have had the Optima about seven years now. Its an SC-34U and has 800 CCA. Great battery. Of course, the look is far from original. grinning smiley

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
If you're into weight reduction, this one works fine.

Attachments:
IMG_1128.JPG    51.6 KB
IMG_1128.JPG

Tote Tony M
100% agree! In 1969 battery technology was such that you needed a large battery to turn over the high load Lucas starter. But in 2017 and gear reduction starters, a battery of original size today is probably overkill, a simple lawn tractor battery could probably get the job done. I use a much smaller AC Delco side terminal unit from a Cavalier to run the TR6...it works a charm and I can use it in my other cars. Weight reduction is the best horsepower gain...I know, starting with the driver...me bad.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Aaron - Is that a lawn mower battery?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster