angle speedo drive

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimstr6 Jim Stover
SLC, Utah, USA   USA
I would like to know if any one has had problems with after market Angle drives on there TR's. Had O/D rebuilt by Quantum two years ago, great work but for some reason I have gone thru 3 drives 2 from Moss 1 from Roadster. the first 2 lasted about 1 year the last one didn't make it 2 sec. works fine when hooked up straight to speedo. also replaced the cable???

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In my case, the problem was the speedo head. When cool, it was just kind of stiff, but it would heat up and bind. The angle drive was the weakest link.

You also need to check that the stub cable isn't bottoming in the drive gear, and the inner cable doesn't protrude too far at the speedo end.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Yes, and for some reason, the last one installed has lasted for years but that's probably because I seldom drive it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
I'm having enormous problems with my speedo and/or speedo cable, and/or the angle drive and/or the transmission connection. Everything is new or rebuilt: gauges by Nysonger, cable by TRF, angle-drive by Moss and transmission by Quantum Mechanics.

Last week I was concerned that the angle drive looks like it has a million miles on it after about 500 miles and when I took it apart, it was a black mess.) Today I'm concerned that the angle drive is completely roached!

The angle drive I had from about the time of my transmission rebuild 1500 miles ago failed so I purchased another one from Moss. The moss unit also failed after 500 miles. I attempted to rebuild both but neither holds oil. The Moss unit has now appeared to become "unraveled" where it attaches to the transmission. It looks like the transmission output rotation is pushing against a seized angle drive or cable or speedo.

My general symptoms (when I can get the speedo working) are no speed registered until about 15mph at which point it's fairly accurate, a hopping of the needle when I reach 65mph, leaking oil from the angle drive, sometimes no speed register at all and now this "unraveling" of the angle drive post where connected to the transmission. Also I noticed that the odometer tens to "bump" it does not rotate smoothly on the 1/10 number. It seems to inch than stop, then inch, then stop then inch etc. Generally when I attach the cable directly with no angle drive I get better results, but not always. The speedo gauge is rebuilt by Nysonger, the cable is new from TRF and the angle drive pictured is 500miles old and from Moss. I'm using the moss washer between the angle drive and the trans.

The cable spins freely, the speedo registers when you spin the cable the engle drive spins freely and i can see the transmission output turning.

1. Are the old Smiths angle drives infinitely better than the new Indian or Asian copies? Should I find a NOS version of these or can they be rebuilt?

2. If I manage to bypass the angle drive entirely how can you possibly fit the transmission tunnel?

3. What is the finest cable built today?

4. Could the problem possibly be in the speedo?

The first two pics are from when the Moss Angel Drive failed the first time (last week.) Look how utterly black and gross it is after only 500 miles.

The last two pics are from today's failure. Look how the shaft is completely bent! Something is seriously binding the rotation and the transmission is pushing so hard it's twisted it!

Many thanks, folks....

Andrew

Attachments:
image1.jpeg    30.2 KB
image1.jpeg

image6.jpeg    29.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image1.jpeg    39.7 KB
image4.jpeg    27.6 KB
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1475335 by jimstr6 I would like to know if any one has had problems with after market Angle drives on there TR's. Had O/D rebuilt by Quantum two years ago, great work but for some reason I have gone thru 3 drives 2 from Moss 1 from Roadster. the first 2 lasted about 1 year the last one didn't make it 2 sec. works fine when hooked up straight to speedo. also replaced the cable???

+1 on checking that your speedo is not binding.
Also, lube your cable. Pull the guts out of it and use gear oil or a light grease of some kind, marine, lithium or?

One last thing to check. I found that the angle drive female receptacle is a bit loose and sloppy in gripping the tip of the speedo cable wire. When I installed my overdrive, the speedo quit working almost immediately. Turned out the cable tip was a bit too small for the angle drive, and the angle drive would lose its grip on the cable. I fixed this by fabricating a small sleeve for the tip of the cable from a short piece of thin wall brass tubing. By forcing it on the tip, it assumed a square shape and it acted as a bush between the speedo cable tip and the angle drive. That permanently solved my issue.

Years later, it failed again, but it was the cable that had broken. So a new cable, well lubed, transferred my home made bush, and it was still working when I sold the car.

So make sure that the angle drive has a tight grip on the cable wire. Mine didn't. It may be that the cable did not have the correct gauge of wire, but I bought mine from moss, so I can only assume that something else caused the poor fit.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

jimstr6 Jim Stover
SLC, Utah, USA   USA
Thank you for all your response I have tried most of the suggestions already, speedo worked perfect after Nysonger rebuilt it and works when hooked direct. but it can't stay that way I have replaced the gear so many time I cut a piece out of the cover and have the cable running up and under the trans and behind the firewall and has a bit of a bend would like to fine a better solution. I wonder if there is another suppler beside what Moss and Roadster use maybe in England. Your pictures looks just like mine except the one from Roadster broke of within seconds. Not sure what that screw is for could it be a set screw that should be loosened then tightened after?

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Jim, are you looking for an alternative angle drive supplier or cable supplier?

Cheers
Tush

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
I want a NOS Smiths cable and a NOS Smiths angle drive. I'm so sick of these crappy repro items....

Can you recommend the best cable made today? Anyone have suggestions for a Smiths angle drive?

Andrew

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN

moniwr rhys thomas
ynys mon (anglesey), UK   GBR
Same prob. angle drive broke after 50 mls. Just got new one from Moss who advised fitting an extra copper washer to the existing one supplied. All to be fitted shortly fingers crossed!

glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I just received a new angle drive from Moss and it came with the copper washer and a warning that the angle drive would fail prematurely if the washer was not fitted. I've only got about 15 miles on mine so we'll have to wait and see.

pegasus500 Avatar
pegasus500 Silver Member Todd Cunningham
WILLIAMSTOWN, ONTARIO, Canada   CAN
Here's the link (info) on the angle drive spacer/washer.

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/021-511.pdf

glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
What is the screw for on the angle drive? It looks like it might be for lubrication, but I've not seen anything indicating that the angle drive is supposed to be lubricated.

pegasus500 Avatar
pegasus500 Silver Member Todd Cunningham
WILLIAMSTOWN, ONTARIO, Canada   CAN
I think it is just a set screw to hold the "guts" in...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster