Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

irish77060 Avatar
irish77060 Richard Hughes
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
Why are all my issues weird? Ok, car show season is here, so I uncovered my 76 TR6 to get her ready to go after storage. I had a battery tender on her but sometime during the winter one of the cats must've knocked it off. Jumped her off and she cranked right up. Voltage meter showing high and charging. Removed the cables after a few minutes, she ran for 30 seconds and died. Repeated this 4 times. But apparently the alternator is working. What's up?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
So are you saying after you start it and remove the jumper/charging cables it dies. Put a voltmeter on your battery after you remove the cables and see it your alternator is outputting , should be approximately 13.5-14 vdc. Did you check the battery voltage before it was jumped/charged?

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
The battery left uncharged over winter could have killed it. Remove the terminal and measure the voltage. It should be around 12.5V. If it reads lower, you have a dead cell or two. Take it to your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and they can do a quick check to see if it will hold charge.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
irish77060 Avatar
irish77060 Richard Hughes
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
Thanks. Confirms my suspicions but normally the alternator provided enough power to keep the car running even when the battery was dead as heck. And with the voltage guage readings it seems to have output.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1464983 by irish77060 Why are all my issues weird? Ok, car show season is here, so I uncovered my 76 TR6 to get her ready to go after storage. I had a battery tender on her but sometime during the winter one of the cats must've knocked it off. Jumped her off and she cranked right up. Voltage meter showing high and charging. Removed the cables after a few minutes, she ran for 30 seconds and died. Repeated this 4 times. But apparently the alternator is working. What's up?

Yes, once started, the alternator should provide enough juice to keep the engine running. Maybe the problem is a diminished fuel supply, allowing the engine to just run for a short time before stalling? Clogged filter?

Dick

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Try fitting a battery from a different vehicle, see if that works.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
How long will it run if you leave the charger attached?
Lucas alternators don't do much at idle, I wouldn't be surprised if a shorted battery (rather than just dead) would pull it down enough to stall the engine. Especially if you have a Pertronix ignition.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster