Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

badgertr6 Avatar
badgertr6 mike c
manitowoc, wi, USA   USA
I also have a 73. I thought the vacuum retard was there primarily for emission purposes. When the engine reaches a certain temp, the sensor in the upper radiator hose kicks in, and applies vacuum to retard the timing, which I think will lower engine temp. Unless you are trying to time the engine with a very hot engine, I would think the the retard is not in play, and it shouldn't make any difference if it's working, disconnected, or whatever. Set the timing at 4 ATDC and call it good, regardless if you are using the retard or not?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
That's not exactly right, MikeC.
The Thermostatic Vacuum Switch, in the top radiator hose, blocks the vacuum to the retard module if the coolant gets too hot. ...the result is that the ignition timing advances causing the engine IDLE speed to increase, making the coolant circulate faster and if you have the crank driven radiator fan it also runs faster.

badgertr6 Avatar
badgertr6 mike c
manitowoc, wi, USA   USA
Wow did I have that wrong...but of course I read my explanation on the internet one night and I always believe everything I read on the Internet......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If the shaft wobble isn't too great, try Pertronix electronic ignition. I have it and it works great. Not a substitute for a completely shot distributor, but it is not susceptible to the worn shaft wobble.

Perry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster