Hardtop Storage

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, New Jersey, USA   USA
Looking for some ideas about hardtop storage, i.e. mobile cart/rack and/or wall mount. From your experience, what do I need to look out for and or stay away from... as well as what has worked good for you. Looking forward to the nice weather soon!
Thanks
Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JFPEARCE63 Avatar
JFPEARCE63 Jeffory Pearce
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Bob, I have a 79 Spitfire. I used cart/rack type thing but that took up a lot of floor space and careful positioning. I decided to hang it from the ceiling. Not hard to do. I lift up and put the front in first as most of the weight is in the back (and it is lower) then I just lift the back up and swing it in. Photos below. Some old scrap wood and some cable/chains would do the trick. I opted for vinyl coated cable. And some screw in hooks into the joist in the ceiling. Easy and Cheap. Jeff

79 Spitfire (Barn find / Survivor)
Enjoying every minute of it

Attachments:
IMG_1052.JPG    46.1 KB
IMG_1052.JPG

JFPEARCE63 Avatar
JFPEARCE63 Jeffory Pearce
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
and the rest....No Comment on missing the joist a gizzilion times!!! smileys with beer

79 Spitfire (Barn find / Survivor)
Enjoying every minute of it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1050.JPG    44.8 KB
IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG    45.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
USNBob Bob H
Pete
I apologize, I should have mentioned in my orig post that ceiling storage (hanging) is not an option for me as I have low ceiling in my garage and I'm afraid that I would be in the emergency room getting stiches plus I have limited space between the ductwork and garage door rails/opener.

Jeff,
Your pictures were great and I would go your route as far as fabbing a ceiling mount. I had a good laugh about your comment of missing the joist. Been there done that!!!
Thanks again guys
Bob

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Easy if you have some wall space, just screw a board to the wall studs and mount 2 small but heavy coat hooks and hang the top by the rear deck, gravity is your friend.

USNBob Bob H
Hey Dan
Glad you responded as I seem to remember you had your top hung up in the garage. If it is not too much trouble can you send me some pics of how you have it all set up. I still think you have one of nicest restored TR6 in the state!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Bob

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Bob, I'll try to do that soon as the h-top comes off. Dan

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Bob,

Storage is a major ongoing issue for me. I found hanging parts on the wall worked well. You can get all sizes of hooks that are meant to screw into studs at your local home improvement. I used a hook and track system for the doors as the studs where is bad place for simple hooks. I know you indicated you didn't have a lot of head room, but for others, I used a simple bike lift and mounted some 2 x 4s on it to store the hood until I got a chance to work on it.

Jeff,

A little something for you. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out The old ones were magnetic and needed to find a nail head. The current ones are capacitive and can find the stud under up to an inch of plaster.

Jim

http://www.target.com/p/stanley-stud-sensor-100-stht77403/-/A-15022432?sid=1117S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Home+Improvement+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Home+Improvement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9030453&gclid=CjwKEAiA3NTFBRDKheuO6IG43VQSJAA74F77QGB3KcyqnwxFdkXo3Vnv_JVvrtPaYQZGGmw0VWnQ7xoCI-Dw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments:
001.JPG    37.2 KB
001.JPG

007.JPG    33.3 KB
005.JPG    29.8 KB
008.JPG    40.6 KB
USNBob Bob H
Jim,
I will be going with the wall option as my low garage ceiling is a show stopper for overhead storage. Your pics look like you do some quality body work.
Bob

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Bob,

Thanks. I learned old school panel bumping years ago and have posted a copy of a how to brochure on the site (search panel bumping). It's not that hard, it just takes patience. I hadn't painted in years and had to learn the base coat clear coat system and HVLP guns from scratch. The trick there is knowing your going to have to do practice panels before you get it right. I probably wasted $150 in paint. Color sanding is the key to getting a good finish. It can take mediocre and make it look good.

Back on topic: You may want to look at the Gladiator system. It allows you to snap in and move different hooks and other storage components.

Jim

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-48-in-W-Garage-Wall-Storage-GearTrack-Channel-2-pack-GAWC042PZY/204280493

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hardtop Cart from Paul Rego's site.

http://www.74tr6.com/hardtopcarrier.htm

Cheers
Tush

cliffwizard Avatar
cliffwizard cliff besett
staten island ny, USA   USA
I made a roll around cart for my roof. I hope photos post.

Attachments:
roof rack 1.JPG    73.1 KB
roof rack 1.JPG

roof rack 3.JPG    62.1 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster