AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wheel cylinder fitment issue
  This topic is about my 1975 Triumph TR6
tntate Avatar
tntate Terry T
East Peoria, IL, USA   USA
I discovered a leaky wheel cylinder on my TR6 recently. It looks like the cylinder is too close to the rear axle flange and is rubbing the rubber seal. I suspect this caused the leak. When I removed the tire on the other side and discovered that the axles do not match. The axle flange on the leaking side is much thicker than the non-leaking side which is not rubbing the wheel cylinder. I have attached a photo of the leaking cylinder and fitment problem. I am hopeful a replacement part will be of a different design and will solve the fitment issue. If not, any suggestions on how to get the clearance I need on the axle flange?

I have added a photo of each wheel cylinder to give a better look at how close the leaking cylinder is to the axle flange. The shiny axle flange is in contact with the rubber on the wheel cylinder. The other side is a different type of cylinder, perhaps a replacement, and the flange is not in contact with the rubber seal.

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life...
Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting"

Steve McQueen
from Lemans 1971

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-30 08:52 AM by tntate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
069.JPG    50.9 KB
069.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG    39 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2442.JPG    49.3 KB
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
It's kind of hard to see where the axel is but if it's leaking it can only be from the inner piston or the line maybe it is a little cross threaded

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
I have to agree with Ralph. The photograph doesn't show much.

For what it's worth, I cannot make out that there is a rear wheel cylinder fitment kit, installed. Maybe it's missing partially, which could certainly allow the cylinder to move out away from the brake backing plate and intefere with the backside of the flange.

Looks like one of the standard issue (new) replacement flanges that everyone sells, these days. It's no thicker (I don't think) where the studs are pressed into it, than the stock flange is, at the same 4 points.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
That just looks like an old rotted rubber boot. No doubt it is an old slave cylinder. It looks like all your hydraulics need to be examined and are likely to need a global rebuild or replacement.

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
'Not sure what the ailment is exactly in your case, but those rear brake cylinders are notorious to leak.
Mine started to leak after atleast 15 years of use...Ordered and put in those new ones they all sell and the new ones started to leak heavy in no time. Maybe two weeks?

Anyway, those larger cylinders from a Morgan have worked like a champ.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Here's what a wheel cylinder boot should look like.
1st photo is left side, 2nd right side. These are fairly new cylinders from TRF.

If leak is coming from inside the brake drum, then it's a wheel cylinder leaking.
If leak is coming from the outside/backside of brake backing plate, then the leak is at the connection of line-to-cylinder- could be brake line fitting or wheel cylinder. Cylinder most likely.

The axles should match & be interchangeable.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-29 04:09 PM by Sapphire.

Attachments:
DSCF1110 (10).JPG    43.2 KB
DSCF1110 (10).JPG

DSCF1111 (10).JPG    43.8 KB
DSCF1112 (4).JPG    65.5 KB
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Here a picture of my wheel cylinder on backing plate, I have them removed at this time, looks like yours is dried out and cracking.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Attachments:
brake cylinder rear.JPG    30.1 KB
brake cylinder rear.JPG

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
I'd check the bearing free-play on the side with the thicker axle flange. It the bearing is shot, the flange would tilt in at the top and can contact the cylinder.

tntate Avatar
tntate Terry T
Thanks for the great photos and suggestions. I have added two more photos to better show the difference between the driver and passenger side. I intend to replace the wheel cylinder that is perished and I hope the replacement will be like the other side that appears to be newer. Does anyone recognize the clean one and perhaps know which supplier it came from?
Many Thanks,

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life...

Steve McQueen
from Lemans 1971

Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
One bit of advice I would add when working on brakes is to never replace just one side. Not sure about TR6s, but for my big Healey I see that Moss and AH Spares both offer two grades of wheel cylinders. I don't like going cheap with brakes.

Jack T
Greensburg, PA
1961 BT7
1966 E-Type FHC
1974 TR6

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Yea it's different I think Moss or TRF have originals

mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
That outer boot is a dust boot, the seal for the fluid is inside. Hub flange rubbing could be loose bearings or different replacement flange thickness but it didn't cause the leak.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1431292 by A. Bradley Ordered and put in those new ones they all sell and the new ones started to leak heavy in no time. Maybe two weeks?

Anyway, those larger cylinders from a Morgan have worked like a champ.

I ordered new Morgan cylinders and one leaked before I even got the car off the jack stands. Not only did they leak but the machining was so bad that they were nearly impossible to fit. Not knowing I had bought a cheap set from a normally trustworthy vendor. I then bought a set of TRW cyls and have had no further problems. They cost about twice as much but are by far the better choice.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

tntate Avatar
tntate Terry T
Thanks for the tip. Where can I find TRW cylinders?

Steve McQueen
from Lemans 1971

mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links