AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LED tail lamps
  This topic is about my 1976 Triumph TR6
Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
I'm thinking of upgrading the rear tail light/brake light with LEDs to improve their brightness. I'm considering the Moss Motors LED bulbs and ballasts. Anyone have experience with these? Is it worth doing and is the brightness increase noticable.
Thanks.
Mark

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Atl TR6 Avatar
Atl TR6 Bruce W
Braselton, Georgia, USA   USA
Can't speak to Moss....but here is an alternative for brake lights. One of the pictures shows brake light on/off comparison. I did this conversion.

http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/forum/20-electrical/257116-Tail-Lamps-You-Determine-the-brighter-one#389161

Turn signal bulbs are not a direct swap out and won't blink properly w/o some modifications.

Bruce
1974 base TR6 Emerald Green "Emmy"
(with J-O/D added)

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
I haven't bothered with the turn signals yet but I'm using leds from another supplier all the way around the car and yeah, they're some bit brighter and work fine.
There's some pretty cool modern tech out there for our old cars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
You won't need a ballast if you're just doing the tail/brake light bulb..
I have a LED's in those locations...they are noticeably brighter than the 1157 and a little brighter and a lot cooler than 2357 filament bulbs.
I bought these before Moss started selling LED's
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit/2625/#/attributes/13

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I also did not do the turn signals, mostly due to the need to install ballasts. I was more concerned with having bright brake and tail lights. I went with these Lite Zupp People who have followed me have commented on how bright they were.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

cmgmg Avatar
cmgmg Michael Garrido
New York, New York, USA   USA
I replaced mine with an LED that flashes several times and goes steady (like a motorcycle). Here's the site.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/

It's a little longer than a standard bulb but it fit into the space.

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
I have replaced all of my incandescent bulbs including my headlamps with Superbrightleds.com LEDS. I replaced my 3 prong bimetal flasher with an electronic flasher from MOSS (also available from British Parts Northwest, VB and TRF) for under 21 dollars. There are two bulbs used in the heater display that are not yet available in led. Once you change the flasher you can mix and match the the bulbs until you buy a complete set.

BTW as you can see the headlamps look strange but when you use them you will see an obvious positive difference in the light intensity.

Attachments:
IMG_5898.JPG    60.7 KB
IMG_5898.JPG

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I need to put another checkmark in the column for LiteZupp. The owners are two members of the Red River Triumph club out of Dallas. They really know our cars and know their LEDs. If you deal with them you will get support. They stand behind their products.

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
How clever! I didn't know Super Bright had these now. 'Nice little peace of mind as we drive our little cars among a sea of huge cars driven by most people staring at a handheld touchscreen device.

In reply to # 1407392 by cmgmg I replaced mine with an LED that flashes several times and goes steady (like a motorcycle). Here's the site.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/

It's a little longer than a standard bulb but it fit into the space.

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
Far out!..'reminds me of an insect with dozens of eyes. They must work really good. My led headlamps really "pop" road signs. I mean they 'illuminate' like crazy. How does yours work out?

In reply to # 1407408 by dvcasano I have replaced all of my incandescent bulbs including my headlamps with Superbrightleds.com LEDS. I replaced my 3 prong bimetal flasher with an electronic flasher from MOSS (also available from British Parts Northwest, VB and TRF) for under 21 dollars. There are two bulbs used in the heater display that are not yet available in led. Once you change the flasher you can mix and match the the bulbs until you buy a complete set.

BTW as you can see the headlamps look strange but when you use them you will see an obvious positive difference in the light intensity.

YTJOHN Avatar
YTJOHN Silver Member John F
Yorktown, NY, USA   USA
I purchased a pair of LED tail/brake light bulbs at a local auto store. My problem wasn't the lights' brightness. With the tail lights on, my car's combo tail/brake lens does not get significantly brighter when I hit the brakes. In effect, no brake lights when the tail lights are on - even tho' I can see the bulbs' brake filaments are lit. The LEDs, while brighter, did not solve this problem.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1408794 by YTJOHN I purchased a pair of LED tail/brake light bulbs at a local auto store. My problem wasn't the lights' brightness. With the tail lights on, my car's combo tail/brake lens does not get significantly brighter when I hit the brakes. In effect, no brake lights when the tail lights are on - even tho' I can see the bulbs' brake filaments are lit. The LEDs, while brighter, did not solve this problem.

Your tail lights are mis-wired. The wires for the running filament and the brake filament are swapped.

The dual filaments are of different wattages (brightness). You want the lower wattage filament to be the running light, and the higher wattage filament to be the brake light. The TR6 tail light wiring connectors are not keyed, so getting the wires swapped is an easy thing to do.

I would imagine the same thing applies to LED replacements - so even going to LEDS would not make up for the incorrect wiring.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

YTJOHN Avatar
YTJOHN Silver Member John F
Yorktown, NY, USA   USA
Vance,
Thanks for your advice. Crossed wires makes sense, as I removed them when working on the sockets to fix a faulty ground connection.
- John

Guppy916 Avatar
Guppy916 George Goddard
Alton, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Try http://www.classiccarleds.co.uk, just brought a complete set for my Mk3 GT6 they are brilliant

Marksg1 Avatar
Marksg1 Mark Greenbaum
Evanston, IL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Nigel"
So I went for the LitzUp tail/brake light LEDs. Quite a difference in bightness over the fillament bulbs.

I love the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster