AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Patrick67 Avatar
Patrick67 Pat L
farfaraway, Québec, Canada   CAN

Pat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 09:07 AM by Patrick67.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
I was just talking with Kye @ BNW and he said are Both front and rear HD lowered springs are rated equally at 400 pounds yet RG sells them at 390 lb front and 470 lb rear.

Now seeing that even stock 305 front and 350 rear I wonder if BNW at the same for both might not feel right? I don't want to go too heavy but still want better than stock....The jury is still out from what I am reading.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
In reply to # 1402836 by clifish I was just talking with Kye @ BNW and he said are Both front and rear HD lowered springs are rated equally at 400 pounds yet RG sells them at 390 lb front and 470 lb rear.

Now seeing that even stock 305 front and 350 rear I wonder if BNW at the same for both might not feel right? I don't want to go too heavy but still want better than stock....The jury is still out from what I am reading.

I'm running BPNW HD lowering springs all around and have been very happy. I did put a very small custom shim on the rears to correct camber a bit so that might be giving me a slight boost in the rear to offset the equal spring rates. Feels right to me!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
by shim you mean an aluminum spacer under the spring?

81 Corvette

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
In reply to # 1402840 by clifish by shim you mean an aluminum spacer under the spring?

Yes. Richard Good cut down one of his standard aluminum shims from it's normal .5" to .3" which we determined based on the amount of lift I wanted to get the rear camber back in spec.

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Hmm, the description for the BPNW standard height HD Springs say that the fronts are shorter than the rears. So that seems to imply the fronts will be softer....But the description also says they are 400 lbs/in. Confusing. I read the previous post describing the different ways a spring can be made softer or stiffer.

I'm the "local guy" that Aaron "triumphgt6er" mentioned a few posts ago who is getting the BPNW HD springs.

A couple of times my car has bottomed out and disconnected the Monza exhaust pipes on the car. I don't think the frame clearance will change, but the added strength of new springs should prevent the body from bottoming out and then the frame.

I suspect that my springs are flexed. At TRials I saw a lot of cars that were riding higher than mine. There were also cars there that it looked like the ride height was an inch high. Another owner informed me about spacers and camber changes etc.

My goal is to have a stock ride height of 28 5/8" at the middle of the wheel arch (thank you Poolboy for the number, I also saw that number on older posts on other forums.) Currently the drivers side is between 2 and 2.5 inches low. The rear really doesn't look right. Like the tire is up in the wheel arch. And in my research the only stock springs I can find are from TRF.

I can't believe that the BPNW spring really is 30% stiffer in the front than the stock spring. Richard Good says his performance front springs are 390 lbs.

So I will get them on as soon as possible after I receive them and give a report on how they ride. If they're stiff as a buckboard wagon, then I guess I will return them.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1999 BMW Z3 2.3

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
Hmmmmmmmm I am sitting at 30" in rear with God knows what spring and a spacer from PO.....I might have to spend a couple more $$ on the RG set.

Aaron are you tracking the car? hard driving? or just normal spirited driving that knocked off the Monza?

81 Corvette

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Call Leighton at BPNW. He's very helpful and happy to provide info. Before I ordered he even suggested they would exchange or return if I didn't like them or wanted to go with the lowering g springs (which I did).

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
i know I am going with a lower spring (can always spacer it) but trying to decide if RG heavier lb/inch would be better or worse?

81 Corvette

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
In reply to # 1402920 by clifish i know I am going with a lower spring (can always spacer it) but trying to decide if RG heavier lb/inch would be better or worse?
Totally agree on the start low and shim up approach. If you really want to confuse yourself, you might as well add another option to the mix! tongue sticking out smiley. Call Ted at TSI about his springs.

Actually, don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. Will be a huge improvement over a set of springs that have seen better days! Good luck and have fun!

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cliff,

it was spirited driving on a rough road with two people in the car, both times.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1999 BMW Z3 2.3

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
PatL,

Here is a link to the Buckeye Triumphs site about rear camber

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Suspension/AdjRS/AdjRS.htm

It could be bushings according to the article.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1999 BMW Z3 2.3

Patrick67 Avatar
Patrick67 Pat L
any help or advice would be appreciated....

In reply to # 1402834 by Patrick67 Hello,

what should I do to correct this situation ?

In reply to # 1402771 by Patrick67 Hi,

I have increased negative camber on my 73 Tr6 and I wanted to correct this by switching to the
heavy duty springs. Would that correct the negative camber ? the springs I have now are stock and there are
1/2 inch spacers.

thanks

Pat

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
In reply to # 1402980 by Patrick67 any help or advice would be appreciated....

In reply to # 1402834 by Patrick67 Hello,

what should I do to correct this situation ?

In reply to # 1402771 by Patrick67 Hi,

I have increased negative camber on my 73 Tr6 and I wanted to correct this by switching to the
heavy duty springs. Would that correct the negative camber ? the springs I have now are stock and there are
1/2 inch spacers.

thanks
Pat - I would start out with replacing the springs, packing washers and trailing arm bushings as a starting point. Your choice on whether you want to keep the stock trailing arm brackets or upgrade to Richard Good's adjustable brackets. The adjustable brackets will give you easier options for camber adjustment. If you stay with the stock brackets, make sure and inspect them closely - they have a tendency to crack (media blast them if you can...cracks show up really well after). If you stay with the stock brackets, also make sure that someone hasn't swapped them out or installed them upside down. If I recall, the buckeye article mentioned before explains the bracket notches and what year had which ones.

You also have the option of messing around with combinations of stock trailing arm brackets per the buckeye article. Again - Richards adjustable brackets will save you all of that IF you can and want to spend the money on them. I didn't, but wish I had now.

Once everything is refreshed, see where you're at. You can also use some aluminum spacers to impact camber a bit as well. You can determine how much shim by jacking up the rear end and measuring camber and wheel well height before and after. Its all kind of a balancing act, but you have to start with good springs, packing washers, trailing arm bushings and making sure the brackets are sound/installed properly (right notches and oriented correctly). You can make a home camber tool with a piece straight metal stock and a digital protractor....will get you close. PM me if you have questions.

Patrick67 Avatar
Patrick67 Pat L
Thanks Jim,

Lots of options ! I will start with the springs and I think I will keep them stock, but I will check out the other options
when I jack it up for the winter. I still have another month before snow starts to fall.

I measured my springs on the counter and the measure 11.25'' I suppose new stock springs would measure the same
but would not compress as much as the old springs under load.. I would use the HD springs but I read here that they
are a little stiff and that the shocks would need to be altered...

thanks

Pat

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster