Need to replace steering column bushings

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dselina Dave S
Lake Orion, Michigan, USA   USA
I bought a pretty nicely restored 73 TR6 last spring. It has a lot of up and down play in the steering column and obviously needs new bushings. Before taking that on myself, I'm looking for any advice, tricks, cautions or other input. Appreciate any input and helpful hints.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Can you tell if it's the Steering Column Cowl (Moss # 667-475) and the steering wheel OR the just the steering wheel within the cowl ?
I ask because the solution is different for each situation.

dselina Dave S
The entire steering column assembly has play, mostly up and down, but also a bit side to side. The movement can also be seen in the engine compartment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sounds like it's just the cowl then.
To be sure that's all it is, hold the cowl tightly and see if you can move just the steering wheel up and down and side to side the same extent as whole assembly moved previously.
Understand that the steering column is bushed to the cowl, therefore if the cowl moves the column will move along with it.
On the other hand, if the bushings for the steering column are bad the column will move, but not necessarily the cowl.
You know that the cowl is loose, but now you need to see if the column is also loose within the cowl..If it is you will need to replace both the steering column bushings AND the felts that keep the cowl from moving.
You may need to refer to this to see what I'm describing.
http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/117.php
AND:
http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/115.php
OR:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32787

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 03:12 PM by poolboy.

dselina Dave S
Very helpful. The car came with a "steering column bush kit" so I think I have the parts I'll need. I think I'll tear into it next week and see what I'm dealing with. Many thanks,

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
The PO may not have realized how the whole things worked. He may have thought that by replacing the steering column bushings, it would stop the whole assembly from moving and just went ahead and bought the bushings for the steering column, but nothing to stop the cowl from moving and taking the column along for the ride.

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Ken, Dave,

For future reference, TRF actually put together a complete kit to solve the wobbly steering column.

Jim

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/205.php

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
If Dave's steering column really does fixing along with his cowl, the steering column bushing kit from Art Lipps makes for a whole lot easier installation than those original type bushings.
With Art's you don't need to remove the old bushings and you don't have to pull the steering column out of the cowl.
If you're not familiar with that kit here's a bit of documentation provided by Bob Danielson.
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SteeringColumn.htm

dselina Dave S
Actually, I think that is what came with the car. A bag of parts from TRF labeled steering column bush kit. It looks to be everything I would need and maybe more.

kevinatl Avatar
kevinatl Kevin Bell
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Look under the dash where the steering column exits. There is a bracket that the column is attached to. Mine had a broken weld and allowed the column to move all around. I drilled a hole through the bracket and the firewall and attached a bolt and it is solid. I had also replaced the bushings, but not securing the bracket it would have still moved all around.

I'm doing a rebuilt so the column was already out. I used a PVC pipe with a fitting on the end to knock out the bushings. THEN I read that you can drill out the little knob on the side of the bushing to help remove. I probably pounded more than I needed to.

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 02:12 PM by kevinatl.

sixtynine Avatar
sixtynine mitch somethingorother
las vegas, nv, USA   USA
Anyone know how to get in touch with Art Lipps?
Also Bob Danielson, his email link isn't working. Thanks

Atl TR6 Avatar
Atl TR6 Bruce W
Braselton, Georgia, USA   USA
from 2016........when i bought some bits.....

lipp04@yahoo.com

Arthur J. Lipp
5809 Seufert Rd.
Orchard Park, NY 14127

Bruce
1974 base TR6 Emerald Green "Emmy"
(with J-O/D added)

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
In reply to # 1339986 by poolboy If Dave's steering column really does fixing along with his cowl, the steering column bushing kit from Art Lipps makes for a whole lot easier installation than those original type bushings.
With Art's you don't need to remove the old bushings and you don't have to pull the steering column out of the cowl.
If you're not familiar with that kit here's a bit of documentation provided by Bob Danielson.
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SteeringColumn.htm
I used Art's bushings....easy and worked like a champ! I would also say never assume anything! I had all sorts of slop in my steering when I got the car..side to side; up and down. Totally rebuilt the front end; did the Art Lipp bushings....car still wallowed around. Upon further inspection found the the PO (make that DPO) had left the steering rack mounts loose. A set of Richard Good fixed the rack mount right up! Scary, but it was a good match for the finger tight driveshaft bolts I found!

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
Just get the ones from Art Lipp because your never going to get the old ones out without taking the column out and putting them back in isn't easy I got the ones from him and they went in in 5 min. got the steering mounts from good parts easy 2 man job but a PITA solo steering is rock solid good luck

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
I’ve replaced two TR4a sets, one with Arts and one with regular replacements. Arts were better and easier to install and snugged everything up perfectly.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster