Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Hi everyone,

I gave some attention to the Site Search functionality over the last few weeks.

First, there's a simple new address to get there:

http://www.triumphexp.com/search

You can get there by clicking the black Search button in the navigation at the top of the page, or Search Site in the Menu to the left.

As it mentions on the search page instructions, you can use quotes and exclude words, which is pretty handy for finding exactly what you want.

It's powered by Google, so it's quite smart about finding variations on words that the Forum Search does not... if you search for, eg "supercharger install", it will show results for "installed" and "installation" as well. You can search any combination of things on a page, for instance, if you're looking for a post by a certain person mentioning a certain word (my memory can be fuzzy, so fuzzy searches are helpful). There's a link to the Google help page where you can see all the search operators including fun things like number ranges and back links...

You'll see there's also a list of what searches are popular right now, it's updated daily, purely for entertainment purposes smiling smiley

Now on to the Search Results page...

1. Notice at the top of of the search results are tabs: Web and Image

Clicking the WEB tab shows results as web pages.
Clicking Image shows image search results... very cool, now you can image search for things like "red black interior" or "backup fuel pump" or whatever kind of photos you're looking for

2. The row below the Web and Image tabs are the Refinement tabs

You can refine your search results to ONLY show results from search sections of the website.
Right now the refinement options are: All Pages | Registry | Forum | Library | Journals | Events | Members

This gives you very fine grain control over your search results.

Have fun playing with the new search, a few notes:

1. Sorry about the ads all over the search results page. Right now I'm using the Free version of Google's Custom Search Engine which is ad supported, but if I see a lot of people using the new Search then I'll upgrade to the ad free version, it only costs about $250/year

2. If you have any suggestions about different Refinement options or other search improvements/bug reports please post them in this topic

3. If you notice any content missing from the Search results let me know and I'll look into it

Thanks,
Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Fredericknakos Avatar
Fredericknakos Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   CAN
WOW" !
Thanks a million!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster