TRExp

Announcements Archive

What features do YOU want to see on The Triumph Experience?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Hi everyone,

With the "rainy season" in full swing here, that means it's time for me to put on my programmer hat and add some new features - more fun than fixing bugs or fighting spammers, to be honest! I already have a really long wish-list of features, some really cool things in the pipeline, but I always like to hear what you would like to see on the website! The more people want something, the higher it gets shuffled on the list, so feel free to "+1" ideas already posted that you agree with grinning smiley

So, if you have any requests or suggestions for the website, please post them in this thread.

Some major items already on the list:

1. Transition to new server hardware
2. Catch up on massive library article backlog
3. Car Club hosting system
4. "Thanks" button to rank helpful posts
5. Virtual Car Show with voting and judges
6. Show events and businesses on the Map page, indicate interest in meeting other members or providing assistance
7. Better tagging or categorization system for Buy & Sell items

... and lots and lots of half-day jobs. Phew I got my work cut out!

Thanks for making The Triumph Experience a success and for your continued support in 2013

Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
SexyBeast Avatar
SexyBeast Greg N
Charleston, South Carolins, USA   USA
Slideshow of all members car photos with an easy to see link to it for first time visitors to browse. One of the first things I look at on a site, just to see what's up, is the photo section.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
thetoilet dan miller
newry, UK   GBR
1976 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spitty"
not sure if it is already possible, but on a diferent forum i use (for a computer product) i can get a daily digest of all posts for the day... it lets you click on the post, and it then jumps to the content. means on the blackberry, i can sit and read the days posts to pass the time when having some quiet time at the office :-)

there are a few options for html, along text email etc... woudl probably need the option to select specific forums on this one though as it is very popular, and the site is totally awesome!!!!!

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 852629 by SexyBeast Slideshow of all members car photos with an easy to see link to it for first time visitors to browse. One of the first things I look at on a site, just to see what's up, is the photo section.

I think I already wrote that... Is this what you mean?
Click on the "Watch Registry Slideshow" link on the front page under the "mini" slideshow

http://www.triumphexperience.com/registry/slideshow.php

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 852695 by thetoilet not sure if it is already possible, but on a diferent forum i use (for a computer product) i can get a daily digest of all posts for the day... it lets you click on the post, and it then jumps to the content. means on the blackberry, i can sit and read the days posts to pass the time when having some quiet time at the office :-)

there are a few options for html, along text email etc... woudl probably need the option to select specific forums on this one though as it is very popular, and the site is totally awesome!!!!!

At the bottom of every Forum Topic List is a box that says:

Want to get a daily e-mail summary of new Topics in the XYZ Forum?

eg at http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/list.php?8#feedmyinbox

Which does exactly what you describe... and lets you choose which Forums to receive daily summaries from.

Unfortunately, the "Feed My Inbox" service that I use for that is shutting down in a few months, so enjoy it while it lasts sad smiley
I'll try to find a replacement when it goes dark

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Hmm, I guess Feed My Inbox doesn't let anyone new sign up for subscriptions as of Nov 9th, so I'll have to replace it pronto.

I'll drop a note in this thread when a replacement is up and running.

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
-- moved topic --

Member Services:
Melbran Avatar
Melbran Theo & Brandon Rijs
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Little Red"
1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 (MkI) "Kermit"
It would be nice to be able to view cars in the registry by location. I see there is already a list of Entries by Country.
I tried to click on the flags but nothing happens, this might be an idea. This was one of the first things I tried to do when I registered, I tried to find cars/owners near me.
It would also be interesting to see the 'say' 10 cars closest to you or cars with in a certain distance/radius from you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 852939 by Melbran It would be nice to be able to view cars in the registry by location. I see there is already a list of Entries by Country.
I tried to click on the flags but nothing happens, this might be an idea. This was one of the first things I tried to do when I registered, I tried to find cars/owners near me.
It would also be interesting to see the 'say' 10 cars closest to you or cars with in a certain distance/radius from you.

Yes, I really should make those flags clickable in the Registry...

Have you looked at the Member Map?

http://www.triumphexperience.com/member/map.php

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 852716 by Skye
In reply to # 852695 by thetoilet not sure if it is already possible, but on a diferent forum i use (for a computer product) i can get a daily digest of all posts for the day... it lets you click on the post, and it then jumps to the content. means on the blackberry, i can sit and read the days posts to pass the time when having some quiet time at the office :-)

At the bottom of every Forum Topic List is a box that says:

Want to get a daily e-mail summary of new Topics in the XYZ Forum?

eg at http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/list.php?8#feedmyinbox

Which does exactly what you describe... and lets you choose which Forums to receive daily summaries from.

OK, this is fixed now, the daily email summary signup is at the bottom of every Forum's topic list

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 852695 by thetoilet means on the blackberry, i can sit and read the days posts to pass the time when having some quiet time at the office :-)

PS: Remember there's also a mobile version of this website for smartphones and tablets, just point your mobile web browser to:

trexp.mobi

Skye

Member Services:
robotics1 Avatar
robotics1 David Sands
Cambridge, England, UK   GBR
Apologies if this is off topic. I realize Triumph information in a nutshell has to be in a nutshell but there is one line I would change:

After WWII, the company reformed under the Standard Motor Company and once again started automobile construction.

Actually Triumph was bought out by the Standard Motor company to form Standard-Triumph.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-23 02:00 PM by robotics1.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Skye, this is not a feature of the TREx itself, but I'd like a fancy icon for my favorites list. Kinda like the one for the cart klub. Then at a glance I can find this site quickly.

'S all for now
Vic

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 853743 by carChips Skye, this is not a feature of the TREx itself, but I'd like a fancy icon for my favorites list. Kinda like the one for the cart klub. Then at a glance I can find this site quickly.

Hmm there should be one, the "laurel wreath" Triumph logo.
Maybe remove and re-add it to your favorites list? Clear your cache?

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 853655 by robotics1 Apologies if this is off topic. I realize Triumph information in a nutshell has to be in a nutshell but there is one line I would change:

After WWII, the company reformed under the Standard Motor Company and once again started automobile construction.

Actually Triumph was bought out by the Standard Motor company to form Standard-Triumph.

Thanks for the clarification, you're absolutely right. I've added a few more lines of Triumph history to the "Nutshell" info on the front page including the Standard-Triumph merger, and being bought by Leyland Motors.

Skye

Member Services:
KDLS Avatar
KDLS Dominick Esposito
Exton, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I like the idea of the virtual car shows. This can help members ready for the in person series during the season. Ratings would be cool and also comments on how to make it better.

I also wonder about a chat room with members online at the time, perhaps a ping or poke feature to start up a chat. Being a very new member, maybe these features already exist, (if so please excuse me as I'm just poking around learning this site).

Thanks, de

ColPClark Avatar
ColPClark Colin Clark
Hutchinson, Minnesota, USA   USA
I used to be able to post a video link and then the video would show up in frame. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if something changed, but that doesn't work anymore. I like to post the youtube videos to show progress on my TR3A restoration.

Thanks for the site - it's awesome!

crazysailor Avatar
crazysailor Gareth Hughes
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
How about Tapatalk capability to make the forums easier to use from mobile devices.

Gaz

Melbran Avatar
Melbran Theo & Brandon Rijs
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Little Red"
1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 (MkI) "Kermit"
A list of usefull links would be very usefull. Some suggestions are the parts, technical info, how to's etc.
There is a huge amount of information on the net and links are often posted during discussions on the forums,
and many of the members have their own websites with great information.

It would have to be organised and vehicle specific eg. Rimmerbros has parts for all Triumphs, but Parklane classics only do seats and interiors for the Spitfire IV and 1500 and GT6. A company like British Wiring could be categorised into a general section, or under electrical/wiring.

I am sure the members would happily contribute and help complie a list.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I can't speak for the owner of this site, but I would think that links to personal websites and straight technical content wouldn't be a problem, but links to commercial, for-profit businesses would warrant a sponsorship fee of some sort. smiling smiley
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
In reply to # 864218 by grubscrew I can't speak for the owner of this site, but I would think that links to personal websites and straight technical content wouldn't be a problem, but links to commercial, for-profit businesses would warrant a sponsorship fee of some sort. smiling smiley
Dave

Yeah really! We already know that a few of the venders monitor this site, but are to cheap to toss in a few bucks.

'S all for now
Vic

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
You got my point, Vic!
DAve

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Gfiandy Avatar
Gfiandy Andrew D
Cambridge, UK, UK   GBR
Not sure if this is possible but a wiki area to generate a wikipedia of repair information would be great if we could transfer the masses of information in the threads into some form of indexed and easily searched encyclopaedia it should cut down on repeat questions.

Regards,
Andrew

lordleonusa Avatar
lordleonusa Leon Guyot
WHITE CITY, So.Oregon, USA   USA
1963 Triumph Vitesse Mk2 "DIVA"
1967 Triumph Herald 1200 "Herald Angel"
How about some links to the various Triumph groups on facebook?

Links work both ways so they won't steal Triumph Experience members, in fact it could be good in both directions.

Leon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/355145157954928/?ref=group_header

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'm keeping track and adding them to my very very long todo list!

Skye

Member Services:
oldspitcat4xx Avatar
oldspitcat4xx Jerry K
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I would like the what have you done to your car today to list submissions newest first. I find scrolling to be cumbersome and I have to go through ones I have already seen. smiling smiley

scigarzz Avatar
scigarzz steve c
cape coral, fl, USA   USA
I would like to see a column on the forum page, buy,sell,& trade page, or maybe all pages as far as that goes, that would allow you to mark a particular thread that you are interested in. (a star , flag, some kind of tracking mark). Sometimes i'll come back after my buzy schedule and want to read up on a thread that i am following or have commented on and i can't remember which one i was looking at.
thanks in advance
Steve Calden

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Steve you can receive email reminders on those threads if you like, most everybody turns that off.

A useful feature would be the ablity to erase or dlete an entire post that you made that made absolutely no sense what so ever, instead of a post that just has your avatar with no words because you edited the post and deleted the wording.

'S all for now
Vic

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 866994 by scigarzz I would like to see a column on the forum page, buy,sell,& trade page, or maybe all pages as far as that goes, that would allow you to mark a particular thread that you are interested in. (a star , flag, some kind of tracking mark). Sometimes i'll come back after my buzy schedule and want to read up on a thread that i am following or have commented on and i can't remember which one i was looking at.
thanks in advance
Steve Calden

Hi Steve,

At the bottom of the page is a "Follow Topic" link that will place the link in Control Center -> Followed Topics

You can choose to receive email updates at that time, or have it placed in the list only.

I hope to have a shortcut/popup for your Followed Topic List in the Member Menu in the near future.

Skye

Member Services:
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
In reply to # 867119 by carChips A useful feature would be the ablity to erase or dlete an entire post that you made that made absolutely no sense what so ever, instead of a post that just has your avatar with no words because you edited the post and deleted the wording.

If you want your own post/topic removed, just click the "Report" button below the post and fill in the reason you want it removed, I will review and delete if appropriate.

Thanks,
Skye

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster