AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Annapolis, Maryland, USA   USA
Hello All,

Well, hopefully I'll be taking delivery of my first and only Triumph TR4 this week (new to all of this).

As I live in Maryland the weather is not too horrible as winter approaches.

My question is how late in the season and how cold do people drive their Triumph Roadsters?

I guess it depends on how well the heater works.

Anyhoot, I'm planning on driving all year I hope!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi Silver Member David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   USA
Two years ago we had a ton of snow here in Colorado, so my Spitfire, which lives outside, spent a lot of time under a snow drift. I put it bed last year about this time, but after a few weeks I moved it to a more convenient position and ended up driving on and off the entire winter. It has a great heater, which made it almost pleasant on the colder outings.

TR6 BRG Doug D.
Carmel, Indiana, USA   USA
I live in Indianapolis..top down and drive a couple/three times a week on nice dry days from May till October..car being garaged is essential, of course..

Top back up and drive once a week during the winter on a cold(dry street) day to keep everything moving, etc..

73 TR 6 owner..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In Maryland we drive until they salt the roads.
PS Did you get the RHD? winking smiley

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 06:55 AM by grubscrew.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Tom, I live over in Falls Church, VA. I drive my cars until VDOT puts the first winter chemicals on the road. I will drive during winter months if rains have washed the chemicals from the roads, however VDOT is quick to reapply those chemicals even if no snow is in the forecast. Last year I was able to drive my Triumphs until the first week in January. It really depends on how mild a winter we have, and when the first snow happens.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Sardine Can" ~ For Sale ! ~
In NY I drive till they begin to put salt on the roads. I do not drive in the spring till there has been sufficient rains to wash all the white, chalky residue from the roads.

tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Grub - RHD (right hand drive I presume?). No I've got a regular American setup.
I was looking at a TR months ago that was RHD. Would've been cool to snag one.

Toll booths and Drive-ups were a concern but really, who eats in their classic?

tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Thanks All for the comments. So it looks like salt is the big concern - understandably.

Can't they just sand the stinking roads? Or just leave them alone? People can stay home in snow and ice.

tymnmony Avatar
tymnmony Victor Fleishman
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Just had the last British car meet in mid October.
Cold weather is coming and fast.
Sprayed the Spit with rust proofing , car cover, tickle charger and put it to sleep.
I hope to do all 4 brakes before I take it out again.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Oft times in the past we have taken the Spit to our New Years Eve dinner party. So far never had to deal with salted roads. No go last year as the joint closed and no new one picked yet. Maybe again this year.
Dan (SE Washington St.)

risingsunexperience Avatar
Trenton, New Jersey, USA   USA
I drive year round. Thanks.

risingsunexperience Avatar
Trenton, New Jersey, USA   USA
Dont drive when there is salt on the road. Wait until it rains a few times.

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
I would drive to work until daylight savings time stopped, the headlights in those SUVs, at eye level in a LBC, are getting more annoying every year as I mature (never going to grow up). I retired this year and I keep finding excuses to drive one of the Triumphs during the daylight hours. GT6 if it's cool, Spitfire if it's sunny.
The fun will stop with the salt, NY DOT lays it on pretty thick.

mike h

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
Back in '65 I bought my first Triumph, a '63 TR4. It was my daily driver and I had it up in Boston while going to college. That car saw numerous snow storms and very cold winters. I always found the heater in the TR4 to be adequate, but then again, I was young and probably didn't know any better. grinning smiley

These days, my TR3 sits in the garage all winter. Although I did have it out last week during one of those high 60° days we had here on Long Island.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JCBritfest Johnny Calder
Conway, SC, USA   USA
I live in Myrtle Beach and we have had upper 70 to lower 80 degree weather until yesterday, when the temperature dropped into the 50’s. There are not many weeks in the winter that you can’t take your LBC for a spin. Very seldom, like almost never, do we get snow.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster