TRExp

The Pub - Off Topic

Toyfire: A Bump in the Night. Now with scary sounds!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SexyBeast Avatar
SexyBeast Greg N
Charleston, South Carolins, USA   USA
My Spitfire has clearance issues with exhaust pipes, bell housing, transmission brace and my oil pan. They are all quite scraped and battered, this all due to the Toyota Celica 20R engine. So, my oil pan caved in the other night when I hit some sort of bump in the highway, almost like a pipe, I never really saw it too well, but I sure felt it. My car does not do speed bumps at all, it slams the weight of the car on the oil pan. Which is what it did. The whole way home I was trying to figure out the scary loud clicking sound in time to my revs. Turns out it was the oil pan baffle contacting the crankshaft, an easy fix, but the oil pan is really banged up and the metal is worn very thin from 10 years of driving. It's a wonder it does not currently leak and it is still functional and I could assemble and drive it today, but I will end up springing a leak very soon now.

I can't seem to find a new oil pan or a used one at all. A "center sump 1977 Celica oil pan" gets nothing that looks like this one. Apparently rock climber trucks use the Celica oil pan for extra clearance for the idler arm. It only holds 3 1/2 quarts of oil, it is an amazing and super special pan compared to the 6 or so other oil pans made for a 20R, all of which are huge for trucks. I have searched high and low.

There is a sturdy welded front cross brace on the frame and I could weld a skid plate of steel to cover the oil pan, but then the oil pan would be non removable. Maybe that would begin to rattle over time. The metal on the bottom of the oil pan is thin and unevenly bent, tough to weld a skid plate on that. Open to all suggestions. I feel I cannot drive until this is addressed and Autumn weather arrived yesterday.

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0546.JPG    57.6 KB
IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG    44.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0526.JPG    38.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Would it be possible to cut out the bottom of the pan and weld in a new one? It could be heavier gauge and perhaps the oil pick up could be shortened to allow a shallower pan. I going that route you might want to make up lost volume by extending it, and likely add baffles to reduce surge when braking etc.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Fabricate a bolt on skid plate, nothing fancy is needed.
A piece of steel plate with a bent lip at the front to bolt to that existing piece I see.
If you are unable to find replacement pan, a metal shop can cut the dented bottom off and weld/braze a new piece.
I recommend a side drain plug rather than another bottom one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster