AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TBW
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi Silver Member David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   USA
Throttle By Wire...I started researching this for an application on a friend's motorcycle. BMW and Harley have them on their high-end bikes. Got to wondering if it was possible to fit to my Spitfire. Anyone ever had any contact with this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 10:06 AM by sparrowpi.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Re: TWB
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I'm glad lucas never thought of it.

Re: TWB
sparrowpi Avatar
In reply to # 1466816 by Tonyfixit I'm glad lucas never thought of it.

Well, I have to admit that is a scary thought.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Re: TBW
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
Why bother? Just something more to go wrong, and you have a working apparatus as is...

Scott

sparrowpi Avatar
You are correct Scott. It appears I'm trying to go against one of my own rules...just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I guess I would still like to know why? What benefit do you hope to gain?

Where I might go, if I were tempted, would be a full-blown cruise control, capable of pacing the car in front of you at a distance proportional to speed. I drove a Volvo with that feature in Scotland, and really liked it. So far, the comparable controls I've seen on cars sold in the US don't begin to compare.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 08:38 AM by TR3driver.

sparrowpi Avatar
My friend has a custom trike motorcycle and is constantly having his throttle cable break. I started researching the TBW thing for him. Since Harley and BMW already have them, though only in the high end models, I thought my cable hadn't broken yet but it surely will, and it won't be in the driveway when it does! Almost every car on the road has them, but they are so integrated in the computer system it would be a difficult project, but not impossible! With enough time and money anything is possible, but hardly worth it. Think I'll just buy a cable and stick it in the boot.

TR3driver Randall Y
Thanks for the explanation, David.

I had somewhat the same problem on the Stag; so I picked up a high quality teflon lined bicycle brake cable and routed it differently to avoid the sharp curves the factory used. Seems to have solved the problem, though I only put about 10,000 miles on it before the car was sidelined for other reasons.

Randall

sparrowpi Avatar
I've suggested other pre make cables but didn't realize there were Teflon coated ones. I'll tell him about that. His is very long, which is the 1st issue and the handle end needs the bullet and engine end is standard VW arrangement. We have also looked into the process of making the bullet end, which isn't exactly easy! He doesn't want to go to a foot throttle to keep the motorcycle "feel" since having to go to a trike for physical reasons was a major blow to him. Sucks getting old!

TR3driver Randall Y
I just asked at a local bicycle shop (the kind that caters to serious bike riders). The cable they sold me was very long, perhaps 10' and intended to be cut to length. IIRC he said they mostly used it on tandem bicycles (bicycle built for two).

One end had a bullet, I had to find a clamp to fit on the other end. I don't recall offhand what I wound up using for the clamp, but it doesn't take much. A small bolt with a hole drilled through it sideways will work (put the cable through the hole then tighten a nut or pair of nuts to clamp it). Or you can drill two holes in a piece of smooth rod, and tap one of them for a clamp screw.

Instead of making the short shot from firewall on the left to carb linkage on the right, I laid it in a long spiral out in front of the carbs and looping back to the linkage. I was worried about friction from such a long run, but it actually moved smoother than even the replacement cable I had installed a few months before. (Which had quickly become notchy like the original was, from the cable wearing through the inner liner and rubbing directly against the steel housing.)

Randall

sparrowpi Avatar
Thanks Randall. I called my friend and he has a high end bike shop near his home and will check it out.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster