Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
On August 21st, there will be an eclipse of the Sun, that will be total right across the middle of the United States, from near Portland, Oregon to Charleston, Carolina.

NASA have published an animated map of the path of totality: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4314

You lucky people! From here in the UK there have been only eight totals visible in the last FIVE HUNDRED YEARS! The last in 1999 was almost completely clouded off, but I remember the 1996 one that was only 60%, and that is dramatic enough.
Anyone in North America will see the eclipse, only those in the relatively narrow central band will see totality.
Most people in the US will be only a day's travel from that band, so eclipse parties and expeditions may be in order. What better reason for a trip in your Triumph!

Hope it stays fine for you! And remember to look at the Sun only through properly darkened glass!
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 10:10 AM by tapkaJohnD.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
My parents are going on a cruise specifically scheduled to follow the eclipse. Talk about lucky!

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
No interest? There won't be another as central as this for another 28 years!
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Thanks John. At my age, it will be the last opportunity to see one within driving distance.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Oh I’m interested alright; I just haven’t solidified any plans. It is safe to assume that any hotels along the path of totality are long since booked for that that date. I have family and/or friends to the south, and to the west who are within a day’s drive of the path of totality - I have to decide which way to travel.

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster