Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi Silver Member David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   USA
Visiting family in Dayton, OH. Found out my sister knows a guy with "a Triumph" in his garage that hasn't been touched in years. I asked her to find out what it was and after a few text messages, found out that it's a GT6. I asked to see it and was told I couldn't see it...not because they didn't want me to, because it was completely covered with junk, and you actually could not see it. Apparently he is a Horder and will "work on it someday." That's when I did my Nancy...WHYYYYYYYYYY!....Why do people do that to something like that? I offered them 2500, sight unseen, since it's been kept inside for years and years but he said he was going to do something with it someday...WHYYYYYYYYYY!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Topaz75 Avatar
Topaz75 Ken Woolley
Cheshire, CT, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Star"
Obviously, someone should do a Tanya Harding on that guy.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
OK, I give up. What does hoarding have to do with Nancy Kerrigan?

As far as "why", everyone needs some goal in life. Otherwise why get out of bed? For some, that goal is unfinished projects.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi Silver Member David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1457046 by TR3driver OK, I give up. What does hoarding have to do with Nancy Kerrigan?

As far as "why", everyone needs some goal in life. Otherwise why get out of bed? For some, that goal is unfinished projects.

Look up the video of Nancy when she got her knee wacked...WHYYYYYYYYYY...
A Horder buys something, never does anything with it, and is willing to have it rust into a pile of red dust, not doing anything to preserve it.
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
In reply to a post by sparrowpi … because it was completely covered with junk, and you actually could not see it.

Out of sight; out of mind - alas.

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

the elder rocker Avatar
the elder rocker Mike Burgess
Albert, Kansas, USA   USA
WHYYYYYY............?
Let me tell you about my girlfriend's Dad. May he rest in peace. Farm kid from Nebraska. Had nothing growing up. Saved short pencils.....get it? When he was diagnosed terminal he asked me to run his affairs and trust. His kids not good with money to say the least. In his garage was a '58 190SL. Neat. Sat for 36 years. Parked behind that under a carport swaddled in sheets and plastic was a '79 Beetle convertible. 612, yes- 612 miles. Sat for 21 years. Many large motorized garden implements, woodworking equipment, metal lathe, plumbing tools, stacks of lumber and on and on...... All this stuff sat. Unused. Unworked on. I was the only one with any mechanical knowledge or the attention span to complete a project of any size. Sorted out the implements and went to auction, brakes and carb, tank, etc on the Beetle and on and on. Point here is, some people love the acquiring, but not the doing. Some folks can't visualize eating an elephant a steak at a time, all they see is the elephant. It's deer in the headlights after that. Might give you a little peace.
PS- 3 years on the 190SL. It was the car that he took his very young daughter (my GF) out for ice cream in. Got it sorted out, welded up and painted, new damn near everything then took her to town for an ice cream at the same place her Dad took her. Bonus- He went along in a mini-urn in the glove box!
PPS- When he left Nebraska he left behind an XK120 DHC at a neighbors farm. Went back to get it after 15 years of 0 communication and it was gone. Shame.
Another thought- sorry, internet at work only. Sometimes I can't flesh out all my thoughts with gainful employment getting in the way of what I WANT to do! Sheesh!
I think the GF's Dad wouldn't let go of stuff because he was a proud man. To sell off something that he was "going to finish" would be to admit defeat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-27 09:42 AM by the elder rocker.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
I'd like to hear the synopsis on the Jag DHC. Not privily to what happened but something is very wrong about that in the Midwest farming community I know. A DHC 120 is about the rarest of the rare.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

Business phone 563 323 1017
Orders only please 800 547 5747
cell, if you must, and I know where it is 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com

Moss distributor UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

the elder rocker Avatar
Hi Robert-
Sad story indeed. Tom and I would do the "sit at the kitchen table smoking and drinking coffee and talking" thing often. Solved all the problems of the world many times over! He would tell me about the Harley he rode to school as a teenager. A no-chrome surplus beater that didn't go very well in snow but he did it anyway. He always did love cars and airplanes. The Story of the Jag- One of his big regrets. Early 70's I guessing, because that's when they left Nebraska and came to Kansas. He had just bought the 190SL. Got a loan for $2500.00 to do it! Saw the loan papers in the info for the car during it's resurrection. He told me that when they left Neb. he left the Jag at a neighbor's farm. He had "started on it". Not disparaging the man, but that means he had unbolted a lot of stuff and then stopped. Great fellow, but easily distracted. No contact for 15 years or so and on a trip to the home area he looked in on the Jag and it was gone. Tom had no tendency to embellish a story so I believed him. When I talked to his daughter (my girlfriend) she said yes, she had seen a picture of her Dad with a sweet looking white convertible. I showed her a photo of an XK120 DHC and she said that was it! Then she got pissed at her Dad for not going to get it! While cleaning out the basement of their house after he and his wife passed away I came upon a box of small parts, heater unit, some trim and a couple of electrical bits. That's all that's left of the Jag. I guess at one time sports cars were looked upon as troublesome, unreliable furrin cars that were so light they wouldn't even bring good money for scrap!.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
I won't rub any salt in the wounds and suspect there is more to the story than anyone alive knows. However, anyone with an Iota of a clue about engines understands the astronomical leap made by the XK double over head hemi engine puts it in the top 10, possibly top 5 and arguably at the top of any engine design in at least the first three quarters of the 20th Century. It was the concept design voraciously copied by race engine builders in the day and precursor to quad cam multi valve motors today. Why the hemi design stalled somewhere is anyone's guess but Mopar in the late 50s and 60s certainly proved the bigger HP to CI diplacement was whopping good thing...to paraphrase Martha Stuart. It's esoteric and moot now but certainly "sad" as you suggest. Life and living go on anyway....smileys with beer

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

Business phone 563 323 1017
Orders only please 800 547 5747
cell, if you must, and I know where it is 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com

Moss distributor UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

the elder rocker Avatar
Yep- gotta go on. Worst case- as you know, when scrap prices go up there are junkers scouring the farmsteads trying to buy old implements, they weigh good! I can just see in my nightmares a farmer saying "And go ahead and take that old car over there, the guy that left it hasn't called me in over 10 years!" Who knows?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster