TRExp

The Pub - Off Topic

What kind of people or characters does your TR attract?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Doug,

I didn't realize that. I always liked the 124 and their later 2000 variant, but I wouldn't trade them for my 4A or my 6. Had a buddy back in the day who drove the wheels off an 850. "Different" design on that little beast - I always assumed Italian - but it didn't show too well beside the sleek little Spitfires that several of us had. Sort of the ugly duckling of the bunch - but it reved high and was quicker. So there was that...

Still I'm very much of the ilk, "Life's too short to drive an ugly car," which I think fits the spirit of this particular thread.

Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Braxton,

I'm seriously considering a Fiat 124, but the wife says I'll have to get rid of something, and that something would likely be both of my Spitfires. Still, the temptation is strong. I recall a baby sh#t green Fiat 850 that used to roam the campus of Wisconsin State University, Platteville, (now the University of Wisconsin) back in '69. Never drove one, but I was fascinated with the little 850 power plant.

Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
I might could trade a Spit for a 124. But only because I'm way too old fat and creaky to fit in the Spitfire anymore, otherwise I think it would be somewhat sacrilegious. The Spit is still one of the neatest looking LBC's ever - just the other day my Dad commented on what a great looking little car mine was. (He's almost 87, not really a car guy at all, and mine's been gone for over thirty years). Surprised me to say the least.

A couple of friends had nice 124's back in the day - don't know much about them, other than they seemed fairly reliable - they kept them on the road (more than the 850 guy) and the owners of those weren't particularly mechanically inclined.

Good luck with that,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I took my long term bride to DQ and when we came out there was this old guy on his knees staring at my bumper. I said, "Pray all you want, you still can't drive it". He looks up at me and says, "What year is it?".

'S all for now
Vic

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
That's kind of weird. I've had similar experiences and some even stranger than that. I wish my car attracted women but instead it attracts drunk old men and shady characters at gas stations offering to sell me pills.
And it never fails, the number one question regardless of how clueless they are about what it is..."What model is it?" It's got to the point where I give some absurd answers like L1011 Widebody or Type 35. Then they nod their head and say something like "I thought that's what it was. I had one just like it."
In reply to # 1453770 by carChips I took my long term bride to DQ and when we came out there was this old guy on his knees staring at my bumper. I said, "Pray all you want, you still can't drive it". He looks up at me and says, "What year is it?".

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Once on our way to the 6-Pack TRials in Bowling Green we stopped at a convenience store. Wife went in. Customer ahead of her asked, "what kind of cars are those?" Clerk says, "MGs". Wife says, "no those are Triumphs." Clerk says, "no those are MGs...I know my cars." Wife says, "no they're TRiumphs and that one is mine...I oughta know what I own"

Precious

I cannot count how many times I've heard MG.

It's really cool tooling around in a TRiumph 2000. No one knows what is

So I'm at the Jellico, TN Wendy's. I'm driving my 68 Gray 2000 with red trim. I overhear one fine citizen say to the other, "I dunno what it is, I think it's Russian". From that point it was known as the Commissar Car

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...I have a 1959 Fordabaker Lark...

Attachments:
Minx Lyman 001 (Medium).JPG    63.7 KB
Minx Lyman 001 (Medium).JPG

Minx Lyman 002.JPG    69.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gun Lake june 2016 019 (Medium).JPG    66.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
the elder rocker Avatar
the elder rocker Mike Burgess
Albert, Kansas, USA   USA
Different vehicle type, same situation. Riding a Norton you get the same thing. "What kind of bike is that?"...... "Norton"............. blank stare.........."Who made that?" It's worth it when you get the older guy (or gal) who just looks and gets that grin........ Used to be some active dealers for the "flexible flyers" in this area. I think I got most all the Commandos in the early 90's. Still a couple that wouldn't let go, though. 'S ok, though. I know where they are, and I'm patient......... Then there's that 2 owner 750 Hurricane................

Stampy Avatar
Stampy Silver Member Scott Stamp
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
I parked nose to nose with a guy in a brand new 911 cabriolet (top up ppphhhht) and on the speaker phone loud enough to be heard outside the car.
A hipster with a man bun was walking by and paused as he looked at both cars shook his head at the guy in the Porsche with the AC on and said...
"What a looser with the top up. I like yours way better" and kept on walking.

Hipster 1
DINK 0 (double income no kids)

Oregontrail Steve Barrett
Silverton, Oregon, USA   USA
We own a 1960 TR3A & a 1967 TR4A We've lost count the number of times people have stopped us & asked about the cars or told us stories about theirs. My favorite occurred last July when I was driving the TR4A. A couple pulled alongside at a traffic light & the woman rolled down her window and said " that's the nicest TR4A I've ever seen. My parents own a TR4A". The funniest happened i a supermarket parking lot. An elderly man complimented me about the car & told me that he had bought a TR3 new in 1953. Since the TR2 premiered in 1955 I think he was a little confused. I didn't correct him, & just thanked him for the compliment. My wife sometimes doesn't want me to drive the TR3 because it delays me when she wants something from a store.

Oregontrail Steve Barrett
Silverton, Oregon, USA   USA
We own a 1960 TR3A & a 1967 TR4A. We've lost count the number of times people have stopped us & asked about the cars or told us stories about theirs. My favorite occurred last July when I was driving the TR4A. A couple pulled alongside & the woman in her 30's rolled down her window and said " that's the nicest TR4A I've ever seen. My parents own a TR4A". Recently, a guy at a bottle redemption center pulled out a phone & asked if the TR4A was a car from "the company that made the James Bond car?" I told him that was Aston Martin & this was a poor man's sports car a, a Triumph. He very politely asked if he could photograph it.The funniest happened in a supermarket parking lot. An elderly man complimented me about the car & told me that he had bought a TR3 new in 1953. Since the TR2 premiered in 1955 I think he was a little confused. I didn't correct him, & just thanked him for the compliment.The TR3 gets way more notice. My wife sometimes doesn't want me to drive the TR3 when I am getting something from a store. Often I am delayed talking with people who ask about the car or tell me their history with one. I've been stopped inside stores numerous times & asked about the cars. My wife gets less comments. My theory is that men are reluctant to start talking with a woman that they don't know. She gets more comments when I am sitting in the passenger seat.

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Mine attracts the ladies
who are also my contemporaries.
I collect Social Security.
W

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster