TRExp

The Pub - Off Topic

What kind of people or characters does your TR attract?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
'Just wondering what other Triumph owners have experienced.

I've often chatted with some really cool car people but then again there's been some for out characters too. I'll share a few examples later. For starters, "Nice MG! I bought a new one just like it off my uncle in 1980 except it was an automatic with a V8."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Usually the typical doofus who says "Nice MG. My _____ had one just like it."

Then one day a hot blonde said "Nice Spitfire. I used to own a TR4." It made my day.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1447196 by billspit Then one day a hot blonde said "Nice Spitfire. I used to own a TR4." It made my day.

Are you sure that wasn't a dream, Bill? winking smiley

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
"Neat car! What is it?"

"It's a Triumph TR4A." Pointing to the letter across the trunk.

"Who makes it?"

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Mines an E type apparently I'm cool with that LOL

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Mostly car-guys say nice things and reminisce. I get a lot of thumbs up from other convertible and motorcycle drivers. Occasionally some young folks who have no idea what it is. My wife tells me how pretty it is and how it rides "like a real car" now that it has been restored.
HuffDady

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
The Spit is a daily driver, so I get a lot of interaction with it. Most of the folks flagging me down at red lights, following me into parking lots or gas stations, are former Spit owners (from their youth) that know exactly what it is. I do get the usual assortment though. The Tr3 makes less trips out, but invariably, will have a conversation at a light. Unlike the Spit, no one EVER knows what it is. Had a couple guys follow me for a while, way to close. They had read the Triumph on the back. They were Triumph motorcycle people. When we evened up at a red light, they wanted to know if Triumph was going to sell its new car (mine) with the motorcycles? They thought it was cool. But even with the tailgating, missed the 1960 Florida licence plate apparently.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I have had all sorts of people stop to chat with me over the years. But once I came back to a parking lot to see a small crowd of young Asian girls crowded around my car.
It seems they were taking turns photographing each other sitting in the drivers seat confused smiley

None of them spoke any English, and it seems thay all belonged to a tour bus parked in the same parking lot.

I couldn't see any point in getting mad at them. They were all giggling and waving when I got in the car an drove off
:-)

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I have a '79 Spit parked alongside the house. Yesterday a tech from the phone company came to mark my line. He saw the car and said," OOOH a Jag!" I just smiled.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...similar to the above for my Brits but it gets annoying when the call my alfa giulietta a karman ghia.

Topaz75 Avatar
Topaz75 Ken Woolley
Cheshire, CT, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Star"
Great encounter at the gas station today. A lovely woman approached me with the usual question about what kind of car I was driving. I told her it was a 1975 Triumph Spitfire, but it was clear that she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. My favorite part was when she asked, "And you feel safe driving this?" I had to wonder about it myself, as I watched her climb into a Ford SUV that was only a tad smaller than the Lusitania.

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Haaa

In reply to # 1448969 by Topaz75 Great encounter at the gas station today. A lovely woman approached me with the usual question about what kind of car I was driving. I told her it was a 1975 Triumph Spitfire, but it was clear that she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. My favorite part was when she asked, "And you feel safe driving this?" I had to wonder about it myself, as I watched her climb into a Ford SUV that was only a tad smaller than the Lusitania.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
In reply to a post by Topaz75 I had to wonder about it myself, as I watched her climb into a Ford SUV that was only a tad smaller than the Lusitania.

Indeed, it’s less about the vehicle than the person driving it. I guess my response in that circumstance might have been “it depends on the quality a driver you are”.

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Yep - "I dated a guy who had one just like it."

And my favorite so far: "I love your Fiat." Even my wife was at a loss to describe the look on my face. (At least with the 4A its Italian designed sheet metal)

But I'm getting used to it. Just smile and keep moving. You either love and understand these things, or you don't - not much middle ground. For everyone else it's either cool, cute, or a small and dangerous waste of money.

In fairness, many of our type are a little eccentric, a little OCD, and a lot nostalgic. Which is all ok by me - makes for some fun conversations, and often an almost instant sense of trust through a shared somewhat uncommom interest.

Regards,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452185 by BraxtonO
And my favorite so far: "I love your Fiat." Even my wife was at a loss to describe the look on my face. (At least with the 4A its Italian designed sheet metal)

And the irony of it all is, the Fiat 124 was designed by an American.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster