Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Edd China has announced he is leaving Wheeler Dealers.

It was the one and only “restoration” car show I watched as it actually showed real work being done and you could learn tricks and methods you could use. No theatrics, no screaming and no unrealistic prime, paint, color sand and polish in one day. Real world decisions on what made sense to do or not to do…

So why is Edd leaving? It’s something all the other shows are missing, integrity. Discovery / Velocity took over the production of the show. They were interested in the show due to its viewer ship, and “under developed” commercial potential. After twelve seasons, the new production staff decided it was too “difficult” to film Edd doing the work in real time, meaning they were too lazy to do it right. Unfortunately, Discovery is run by MBAs and not car guys, so cost became the priority and they decided to make the work sections of the show like all the others, so Edd quit. I’m always amazed at the way these morons take over a show because it’s successful, and then change it to make it “better”.

I recommend you contact Discovery and let them know exactly what you think of them turning Wheeler Dealers into just one more BS scream fest where engines are overhauled with one turn of the wrench and rust miraculously disappears with a single piece of sand paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 04:47 PM by Desert TR.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I agree, I saw Edds comments a while back. I think it is a shame to ruin a show like this. I also believe it will dump real soon.
Dan

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
I watched an older episode last night where Edd revamped a Sunbeam Alpine. It was reassuring that I had upgraded the head on my TR7 along the lines that Edd did on the Alpine.

He will be missed.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Yep, I loved the show but hated when they started summarizing Eds part and not showing as much detail and even tried to ad the fake drama that makes me stop watching the other shows. I liked the one man show with Ian on it at first too .... Full Custom Garage, but they dramatized that one too, and cut out all the how to stuff to fill the time with commercials, so I turned it off too.

I think TV is dying at a very fast pace and they are helping it along with this lack of vision. I turned off cable completely and watch shows through my Playstation on netflix and youtube.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1447744 by JOEVACS

I think TV is dying at a very fast pace and they are helping it along with this lack of vision. I turned off cable completely and watch shows through my Playstation on netflix and youtube.

I completely agree, I don't watch much TV any more but was watching a show at a friends house the other night.
Honestly, thay spun out about 5 minutes of content to half an hour, re-capping what we had already seen after every commercial break.

How stupid do they think we are? Do they think people will just sit and watch anything on TV?

I have seen so many very good productions, by amateurs, for low $, on you tube, that put a lot (if not most of the current TV shows) to shame

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Exactly. To me paying for TV anymore makes you a sucker. I don't need it. There are better choices without all the fluff and all the dang commercials

hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Met Ed and Mike in person, and you know what?
They are as great in real life as they appear on TV.

One show a few years back, We were cuing up for autographs at the end of the show, the wife wanted a picture with the two of them and up comes the security guards…

Sorry folks, you'll have to go now, the show is shut.

As we started to disperse, Mike Brewer came over and asked whats up… he told the security guys straight… 'These good people have come a long way to see and speak with me, and they are going to get my time'

And everyone got a picture with him and Ed and autographed photos.

Top blokes.

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Too bad - already too many fake drama "reality" shows. What a ridiculous concept model. Unfortunately it says more about the viewing public than anything else. If the numbers weren't there, the add dollars wouldn't be, and this format would die the death it completely derserves. Somebody's watching this drivel - lots of somebodies.

Even worse, when a unique show builds a large audience, the vultures swoop in and "monetize the untapped value;" B-School speak, because a single word like "opportunity" just isn't enough anymore - you know, in these challenging times and all.

Soon we'll have the opportunity to vote with iTunes purchases on the most talented "Naked-Survivor-Pimp-My-Spoiled-Son's-Ride-With-The-Stars-And-Ducks" contestant. One can hardly wait. (they go to Harvard, Wharton, and Oxford to learn how to do this stuff)

Afraid I'll miss that - my boob tube will likely be unplugged at that point - and I'll be under a shiney British bonnet trying to do something I learned from a helpful person here on the forum. Or even form Edd.

Bon voyage Edd.
Best

P.S. Edd - you should ring up Jeff Bezos - the Discover boys might have a clause this time around, but I'll bet Amazon has better lawyers.

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 12:00 PM by BraxtonO.

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
Hope Mr China gets his own show! There was something always oddly and deeply satisfying about watching the close up views of the mechanical repairs. Job done.

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
I whole heartedly agree. I just read that they are taping shows now with Ash.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Best quote from Jalopnik

"Edd was the antithesis of the usual car-reality-show mechanic: where most shows tended to have caricatures of loud, arrogant, tattooed meatheads yelling at everyone about how this ‘69 GTO had better [bleeping] be ready by tomorrow or heads will roll, Edd’s a calm, wildly capable, good-natured guy who had respect for all kinds of cars and was someone you’d actually like to work with.

Plus, there’s almost never shots of him grinding down chunks of metal just to get more sparks on camera."

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Since learning of his leaving the show I have dropped Velocity. Without Edd there is no point of having Velocity on the tuner.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
I am disappointed with Edd's latest video on YouTube, it's an infomercial for a battery charger!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster