New England Classic Car Company, Stratford, CT - The Ebola of Car Dealerships

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GCR Gerald Render
Santa Fe, NM, USA   USA
My experience with this company and the owner, was by far, the most distasteful car experience I have ever been involved in. After over 18 months of waiting, having paid upfront for a car and modifications recommended and agreed to by the owner, I had to hire a lawyer to get my car. Once the car was delivered, it will now take me $4,000 to $5,000 to make it operable. After retaining a lawyer the owner said he was giving me a break on the price, but I didn't realize it meant he was not going to deliver all the items he promised, he made it seem like he was owning up to his mistakes, but I should have realized he would not be living up to his word. And from this experience, his word is useless.

The recommended carburetors don't work at the altitude I live, even though I was promised they would be tuned for my altitude, I'll now have to sell them and buy different ones. In addition the accelerator cable was frayed and snapped at where they jerry-rigged it to the carburetors. The battery was dead on arrival, not a new one like promised. The generator is putting out 12 volts, so now the new battery I purchased won't charge meaning a new alternator will have to be purchased. The electronic ignition didn't work and a new one had to be purchased. The ignition switch was corroded and was shorting out. The starter then burned out and had to be replaced. So far I have put in over $2,000 in repairs to get the car almost running and easily have another $2,000 for carbs, alternator, cables, etc. Additionally, he said he couldn't find a tonneau cover, so he credited that to me, he also said he would put the wood dash in the trunk so I could put it on later, that didn't happen either. The list goes on and on.... Oh yes, and he promised a 60 day tag for the car, but that didn't happen either and the reason being is that three of the four tires are dry rotted and have to be replaced before I can drive it - that is another $800. And finally, it does have wire wheels and he did paint the ones on the car, but why didn't he paint the spare tire wire wheel to match the others - guess he couldn't afford the 2 oz. of paint....

The owner sounded very genuine and knowledgable, obviously I was totally duped by this company. If I didn't live several thousand miles away, I would go to court, but I have such a foul taste in my mouth from dealing with this company it's just not worth it.

I would avoid dealing with this company like I would avoid dealing with ebola.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
I was just in your town and would have been delighted to help and chat about your story.

You may wish to PM me.

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
I saw a TR3 that these guys sold in my area. I was told by the owner he paid 25. I said $2500 wasnt too bad for a the car with the work it needed. $2500???? I paid $25000. Yikes! It was a total hack job. Never by a car sight unseen with a Master Card off Flea Bay.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
The complaints about this company are SO prevalent that they have their own web site:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/new-england-classic-car-co-stratford-connecticut-c142328.html

jclay Clay Thompson
Texas, USA   USA
I had the same problem with Bare Bones Custom Paint and Speed Shop in Houston Texas. He has scammed 9 other that we know of. I got my car back and most of the parts, but others have not been so lucky. Many of the cars can not be found. The owner of the shop is no where to be found either.

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
I was about to jump the ferry across the LI sound to buy a bugeye he had until I decided to google his company and found pages of complaints.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
I don't think I'd go quite as far as some in critiquing this seller of cars, but I certainly would not deal with him in the future. The cars are overpriced and I don't have a great deal of faith in the workmanship at the shop.

I paid $9000 for a clean, low-mileage 1979 MGB and ended up spending a lot of time correcting faults on the car that they should have fixed prior to sale. To be honest, I should have noticed them too but when you are anxious to get back into a working LBC your judgement tends to be a bit faulty. After a lot of work I have ended up with a solid car, but still have a bad taste in my mouth that comes from realizing you have been taken.

There have been some strong personal comments made about the owner, I think I would simply say I found him rather patronizing.

The faults: rebuilt brake master cylinder was faulty, fitted brand new one. Wiring for radiator fans was incorrect in some misguided attempt to bypass a defective relay. Vacuum advance was disconnected for some unknown reason, TCSA switch worked correctly, and the timing was wrong. Manifold stud had stripped thread causing a leak by the number 1 cylinder exhaust port. Car was running far too rich. If somebody like me can identify and correct these issues, it beggars belief that his mechanics missed them. Or maybe they didn't and counted on the car's general appearance to make the sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-02 05:22 PM by DerbyRam54.

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
Beware of this type of predator. Want to hear a real horror show? Google Dusty Old Cars in New Hampshire. This guy make the Conn bunch look like a bunch of amatures.

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
"The Haggler" of the New York Times Business section has been doing a series on this guy. The Chapter 11 (bankruptcy) advisor advised the court they should file Chapter 7 (liquidation) instead.

In reply to # 1454325 by trjohnnie Beware of this type of predator. Want to hear a real horror show? Google Dusty Old Cars in New Hampshire. This guy make the Conn bunch look like a bunch of amatures.

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster