AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
I've been tip-toeing around with my spouse around the fact that I'm not only "interested in cars" but that I want to do a restoration eventually. Last night she walked in on me and caught me doing something embarrassing... working on an spreadsheet of an estimated budget for a restoration. "What'cha doin'?" "Er, just a fake budget for a restoration. Eh, I probably won't ever do it."

Then, came the most bizarre thing. She smiled said, "Oh, I have a feeling you will."

Who is this person and what have they done with my wife?!

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
David,

One hint. When you're all done with the spreadsheet, add one more line. Multiply everything (time, material costs..) by three!.

Jim

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
In reply to # 1320034 by Desert TR David,

One hint. When you're all done with the spreadsheet, add one more line. Multiply everything (time, material costs..) by three!.

Jim

Haha. Oops...

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
that includes time winking smiley

List your skills you have, skills you want or don't mind learning, and how much you want or need to farm out...
Include the tools you will need to acquire...

list FUN on every other line (for those times of discouragement)

You could also make an alternate budget of the ways you could spend the money and make the restoration the more glamorous of the two.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1320026 by dplass Then, came the most bizarre thing. She smiled said, "Oh, I have a feeling you will."

Who is this person and what have they done with my wife?!

Maybe you've got a Stepford wife there.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
My advice... When you buy parts and pay for something... Take those receipts and throw them in a dark place and never look at them again.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
It's a labor of love and those receipts tell how much love hurts.

In reply to # 1320072 by 1147cc My advice... When you buy parts and pay for something... Take those receipts and throw them in a dark place and never look at them again.

'S all for now
Vic

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
David P, when there seems to be more going on than appears...there is! Don't worry, it wont be too bad, but she has something in mind to barter...perhaps a sawing/work out room/home office first...

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Blue-72 Sterling E
W.harrison, Indiana, USA   USA
In reply to # 1320103 by Born Loser David P, when there seems to be more going on than appears...there is! Don't worry, it wont be too bad, but she has something in mind to barter...perhaps a sawing/work out room/home office first...

She wants something! That's for sure!

plotkinc Catherine Plotkin
Edmond, Oklahoma, USA   USA
Or she really wants you to have a hobby. Don't know your age, but a bored retired husband is worse than any restoration.

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
No, I've got hobbies. Most of them require me to be out of the house. Maybe she wants me to be around more? Such a mystery

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Be careful. It's a trick!

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
My wife OK'd the purchase of my Spitfire at $250 with my promise that it would not be a pile of junk when I brought it home. She nearly cussed me when i drug it home. That was 3 years ago.

The first gift she gave me was the nice steering wheel for the Spit.

The second ( and most valuable ) gift was when I was done, she asked how much I had spent and before I could even think how to answer, she said, " don't answer that, I don't even want to know" . ... To this day she still doesn't know and her wild guesses are far from accurate.

The third gift was this morning as I was leaving for work. She said, " that sure is a pretty car, you did a good job".

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
It's all in the eye of the beholder. To us these aren't piles of junk but diamonds in the rough-Perhaps she was looking for something with at least a coat of shiny paint? Mine gets less and less of a 'pile of junk' by the week, but SWMBO still calls it that--sometimes in jest and sometimes not. One day it will be a thing of beauty. What she'll call it then, who knows. As long as she doesn't call it 'hers' it I'll be ok with whatever.

In reply to # 1321763 by JOEVACS My wife OK'd the purchase of my Spitfire at $250 with my promise that it would not be a pile of junk when I brought it home. She nearly cussed me when i drug it home. That was 3 years ago.

The first gift she gave me was the nice steering wheel for the Spit.

The second ( and most valuable ) gift was when I was done, she asked how much I had spent and before I could even think how to answer, she said, " don't answer that, I don't even want to know" . ... To this day she still doesn't know and her wild guesses are far from accurate.

The third gift was this morning as I was leaving for work. She said, " that sure is a pretty car, you did a good job".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
Bumping my own thread. By now (18 months later) my spouse is surprisingly "on board":

I got a GT6 t-shirt and poster from Cafe Press for Father's Day. And it was even the right model (MK3) and color (blue 96)!

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster