Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian F
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Greetings enthusiasts. It is with great pleasure I'm able to announce that I am (finally) the proud owner of a '72 TR6. I have a long history restoring and modifying 80s' honda motorcycles, but it's time to move on to something a bit more stable, and I've wanted one of these beauties since I first set eyes on one. I'm also well and truly over rebuilding and restoring, so I needed something that was already done. I'll do the servicing and maintenance, but no more restoring. I'm not lazy, but I've moved on ;-). This gem arrived on the scene at the right time, and pending a roadworthy inspection, she'll be mine. It's a Californian conversion, but seems to have been done really well. Frame-off yadda yadda yadda. I do need to investigate sourcing a RHD Tonneau, but I'm not in a hurry for that. I have the LHD one, so maybe they can flip that for a pattern?

Look forward to learning heaps. Oh. I'm in Victoria, Australia for reference ;-)

cheers
Ian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR6-4.jpg    50.5 KB
TR6-4.jpg

TR6-3.jpg    54.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR6-7.JPG    61.8 KB
davecutter Avatar
davecutter Silver Member Dave Cutter
Fox Island, Washington, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Angus"
First Triumph...rescued it from a backyard in Tacoma, Washington. Last ran 11 years ago. Looking forward to getting it on the road again!

Cheers, Dave

Attachments:
image1.JPG    56.1 KB
image1.JPG

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Welcome Dave, I'd rescue that too.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
amr85 Avatar
amr85 Andrew R
Manassas, Virginia, USA   USA
Hi everyone. My name's Andrew and I just took delivery of my first Triumph! After months of looking for the perfect example, I finally picked up a 1977 Spitfire earlier this week.

I grew up listening to my dad tell me stories about "the one who got away." His was a 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500. In his words, he could rebuild a Stromburg carb blind folded in a blizzard with how many times he had to do that task on it (citation needed). Regardless, it was his baby. That was, until a real baby came along (me). As it usually goes, my mom suggested he sell it for something more conducive to family life. Fast forward 32 years. I'm at a point in my life where I've been able to squirrel away enough funds to be able to purchase my own Spitfire. My dad passed away in 2013, so unfortunately he's not here to enjoy it with me, but he still is in a way.

The previous owner had owned 11 different Triumphs before this one (other Spits, TR-6s, a GT-6, and a TR-3), so he did quite a few upgrades and updates to it already. Gone are the Stromburg carbs my dad struggled with, replaced with a unit from Mikuni. Additionally, new wheels and tires were installed just before winter. The car has upgraded springs and struts too. The interior is where the car shines. Reupholstered seats, new carpet, new floor mats, and new door cards make the inside look showroom fresh.

What have I learned so far? Well, highway driving in the Northern VA area is practically a death wish. This car certainly forces you to be hyper aware of your surroundings. In part due to the lack of a radio and non-power brakes, it takes the monotony out of the driving experience. I imagine this is what most motorcyclists feel like.

What's next? Well, there seems to be a parasitic battery drain. Unless you disconnect the battery, the car will drain overnight. The second to last previous owner updated the ignition, but something in the car seems to be drawing too much power. Previous owner suggested disconnecting the battery if it's going to be parked for more than a couple hours. Additionally, there are a couple holes in the soft top, so that'll get replaced eventually.

All in all, it's an incredibly well sorted little thing. I'm looking forward to getting into mechanics for the first time. I've kept my daily driver, as I have a 1 hour/20 mile commute, but this little Spitfire is sure to get a lot of road time during the weekends.

Attachments:
5.jpg    55.3 KB
5.jpg

1.jpg    74.4 KB
3.jpg    58.9 KB
spitfire2.JPG    42.4 KB
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 1969 Triumph MK III with a GT6 Engine and transmission. I am from Los Angeles, CA. This is my first triumph and I'm excited to see work on it my self and see what kind of feed back I can get from you guys. Im not to savy on working on cars but I hope to learn more about them.

Also I'm not sure how to upload pictures.

Shawn
1969 Triumph Spitfire MKIII W/ GT6 Engine and Tranny

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
In reply to # 1463393 by TriumphShawn1234 Hey Guys,

Im not to savy on working on cars but I hope to learn more about them.

Your wish to learn more about cars is about to come true... :-)

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore   SGP
Hi. I'm a newbie. Just looking around to find a perfect gift for hubby's birthday. smiling smiley

anglefire Mark Colston
Solihull, West Midlands, UK   GBR
I'm new on here - had my Spitfire 1500 for just over a year now - was MOT'd when I bought it, but rebuilt the brakes and carbs over last winter and replaced the front ball joints and ARB bushes for this years MOT.

Really enjoying driving it around - but as ever never enough time!

Live in the UK in the middle - don't really do classic car shows - not my thing really, but happy to help anyone if I can.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

DeltaAir423 Robert S
Snellville, Georgia, USA   USA
Afternoon,

I have owned a 1980 Spit for about 10 years now, the last seven or so, it has sat due to family obligations. Now my family is in a position where it can get back on the road.

Currently it's in my father in laws garage with a 72 GT6 rear end in it. Next job is to build up my spare engine to a 9:1 compression ratio and a mild cam, send off my SU's to Joe Cuerto to get built and sorted out, and drop it in with a J type OD behind it. After that it's down to body work, interior, tires, and brakes.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster