AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kiwibobo Avatar
kiwibobo Roy H
Cocoa, Florida, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Little Red Car"
Thanks Doulas D
I am reel serious about bypassing the heater core. One little hose would do it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Another thing to consider is pulling the heater motor. It really helps vent the floor area while driving.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Check this thread out on the charcoal canister hookup.

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1377347

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
HI - I'll pick up my new (to me) 1980 Spitfire next week. I live in Delaware and have a cabin in Northern Michigan. The Spitfire will be my Summer driver at the cabin. It's a one owner car with 79K miles. All that I've seen are pictures of it so I'm anxious to get to Michigan and see it up close. I'll post some pictures once I have the car. Glad to be a new member to this Forum and look forward to participating and learning.

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
Congratulations and best of luck with the new Spit.

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

JFB Joseph Byrd
Dunn, North Carolina, USA   USA
Good Morning Ladies and Gents, the following is not for the faint of heart.

i have owned a 73 TR6 for many decades. Originally purchased for the Wife. It was driven and enjoyed greatly the first decade of so. Unfortunately, for the last couple of decades the car was left under an open side shed. In the last few weeks, I had the car dragged to a local Low RIder shop and gave them a considerable chunk of change with the instructions to see if it would run again.

The first thing was to rake off the pine straw and pressure wash the encrusted mold. What was last seen as a bright blue is now pale faded with some rust completely through the sheet metal. All the fluids were drained, new fuel lines, using the spare parts bought way back when, rebuilt the carbs, installed new plugs/points. New brake and clutch hydraulics from Moss Motors were purchased. A new battery and a turn of the key and she fired back to life!

Last night, she roared the couple miles from the shop back to her parking spot at home. Now she is not in good road worthy shape. Idle way to high, windows won't roll down, top and seat belts rottening, I am hoping to at least get her capable of short trips around, but due to family heath concerns, time to spend is will be rare.

So that is my sad story. Hopefully in the future, I'll be asking advice to remind me of the details I use to know when she was running.

JFB

Attachments:
TR6 2 RF.jpg    30.4 KB
TR6 2 RF.jpg

TR6 3 LR.jpg    34.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Jim S
Cumming, Georgia, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
Hello All,
Finally found my GT6. Discovered this little diamond in the rough about twenty miles away. She sort of runs when coaxed, is fairly complete and solid with the exception of the rockers and a quarter panel (I'm sure it is worse than that, LOL). Myself? I've owned two Triumphs previously, a 1969 Spitfire and a 1959 TR3 for a short time as a teenager. Back then I had few tools, no skill and zero money. Now I have zero money but I have built up some skills working on old Japanese motorcycles and vintage Fords and Jeeps. Looking forward to getting going on this but I have a few projects ahead of her that need to be done first.
Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I am going to need.
Jim

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Looks great Jim. That's about the color my GT6 will be when done.
I'd say get the gremlins worked out of the the engine and drive. Just check the brakes/clutch and rubber bits over real good and replace as necessary, if not 100%.
If the rockers are rusted, and they don;t look too bad, you can do those later. Hopefully your floors are in much better condition.

Keep us posted on the spitfire/gt6 page. smiling smiley

In reply to # 1398726 by TriumphFan Hello All,
Finally found my GT6. Discovered this little diamond in the rough about twenty miles away. She sort of runs when coaxed, is fairly complete and solid with the exception of the rockers and a quarter panel (I'm sure it is worse than that, LOL). Myself? I've owned two Triumphs previously, a 1969 Spitfire and a 1959 TR3 for a short time as a teenager. Back then I had few tools, no skill and zero money. Now I have zero money but I have built up some skills working on old Japanese motorcycles and vintage Fords and Jeeps. Looking forward to getting going on this but I have a few projects ahead of her that need to be done first.
Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I am going to need.
Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

missileer David Trent
Laceys Spring, AL, USA   USA
I know this is a triumph forum but a buddy suggested I contact you guys. I have a 1971 MGB GT and am looking for in inner wheel well (driver's side). The car has been hit in the front at one time and I just dropped it off to have body work and paint done. The guy doing the work asked if I could locate this inner wheel well so he could weld it in. The current one is really in bad shape.

Anybody have any ideas or leads? I live near Huntsville, AL so would like to find one relatively close by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments:
160929 71 MGBGT inner wheel well.jpg    39.3 KB
160929 71 MGBGT inner wheel well.jpg

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Not sure about the front,but I have done some rears. Moss used to make a patch panel and a full rear arch panel. Basically the same places you shop for Triumph parts will have MG parts. Roadster Factory,Moss Motors,VB. Good luck,otherwise you will have to find a used donor from a car being scrapped. Check the MG Experience also.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

sherwayne Sherwin R
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
Hello guys! My name is Wayne and I have a 1974 Splitfire. Bought this beautiful car last year from a friend. Looking forward to gain more knowledge as well as contribute.

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Welcome Sherwin!
Hope you brought pics to share. Everyone loves pics. grinning smiley

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

achurch Avatar
achurch Andrew Church
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Hey Guys,

My name is Andy and I've always loved the classic British cars. Beautiful designs focused on small chassis with good handling. I just finished building a track spec 2013 Scion FRS turbocharged (pic attached) that I'll be selling in a week. I'm exteremely active on that forum and love learning new things and helping other owners out with their cars.

I've always wanted to do a resoration project. I figure I've now got time, space, and some spare change (with the car sale) to jump into one. I would love to do a TR6 but they are hard to find, so I'm looking at the Spitfires. There's also a TR8 nearby which the V8 is appealing but it's not the design I'm looking for.

This will be my first restoration so any recomendation on which vehicle and any tips would be greatly appreciated from those with experience. I have been doing a ton of research and am definitely capable of doing it, just anxious to get started.

Thanks for letting me join!

Andy

Andrew Church

1977 Spitfire 1500 - 1st Classic

Attachments:
2016-08-17 19.57.12.jpg    46.3 KB
2016-08-17 19.57.12.jpg

mrblimp Avatar
mrblimp Louis Mauriello
Woodmere, New York, USA   USA
I am new to the Triumph forum. Been a member of the MG forum for a while now.

I recently picked up a 69 Spitfire Mk3.

Things I plan to do to it:
- patch floors - paint and undercoat them - the floors were replaced once in the past with sheet metal. I am not ready to invest floor pans - passenger side under the seat needs work - I already cut out a piece of sheet metal to fit - I'll cut out the bad first
- carpet - car came with a bunch of carpet in a plastic tub - after the floor is done I will clean and reinstall it
- brakes - basically the PO replaced the entire brake system but couldn't get them bleed - to stop the car you have to double pedal - the PO removed the PWDA and inserted some race devices in its place (I've already posted in other threads on this) that I will be removing and running straight steel lines for now - I also don't believe the PO adjusted the rears first - emergency brake works great
- lights - signals and reverse work but not headlights and taillights - PO replaced the master switch - I have to get a meter on it and trace the power
- horn - same as above - get a meter on it and trace the circuit
- front bumper - some PO had cut out the center section of the bumper (I assume because they thought the car needed more air - probably when they changed the carb/intake to a weber downdraft and the exhaust to a 4:1 manifold and 1:4 Monza exhaust - I removed the rest of the bumper and left the over riders - my final objective will be to fit a Mk2 front bumper to this Mk3 (I just like the lower look better)
- hardtop (HT) - the supplied HT needs painting and a rear window (glass came with the car as did all of the seals except the rear window one which I have since ordered) - the car is painted Laurel green 55 and I am going to paint the HT white.
- gas tank - the car came with a new Victoria British gas tank kit but it wasn't in the car - in the car was a red gas can with a gas line coming out of the spigot - I have since installed the tank and removed the can to my shed
- driver's door window - looks like it is stuck - I have to remove the door card and see what's up
- install the parcel shelf - new one in the box came with the car
- fix the dash cracks - I did the ones on my MGB which were much smaller but I can live with how they will come out until I decide to invest in a cap
- drive the car

Attachments:
Car 1.jpeg    42.9 KB
Car 1.jpeg

car 3.jpg    44.7 KB
trunk 2.jpg    34.4 KB
IMG_4791.JPG    69.8 KB
alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
Louie...

Welcome.. and what a list.. !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster