AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Welcome back to the madness...
There's also The Roadster Factory and British Parts Northwest and many other smaller suppliers of misc specialty items. Click the vendor market link to the left...

Across the pond is Canley Classics, James Paddock, Rimmer Brothers, as well as a few others. Depending what you need sometimes ordering from over seas is cheaper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emerald. Steve Poulton
Hockley, essex, UK   GBR
Hi,
i have a 1972 triumph stag.
the pictures shown are all the cars i have owned since 2008.
steve.

Attachments:
100_4430-COLLAGE.jpg    80.6 KB
100_4430-COLLAGE.jpg

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Steve, I think I see a trend developing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emerald. Steve Poulton
Hockley, essex, UK   GBR
To be honest i regret selling the white stag my first one, i also regret selling the saphire stag and the tr6 oh and also the pink gt6. I think the only triumph i would like now would be a mk1 2500pi.
steve.

Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
I though I would just say hi.

I've had my 78 Spitfire since 2001 and used to spend a lot of time on the forums the Jeff McNeal ran. Then I got married, got an apartment, then a house, then kids, etc. and never really got to the forums anymore.

This spring after the snowmobile forum I follow wound down for the summer I though I would check Jeff's site as I was installing new u-joints and was surprised to see it was a bit of a ghost town.

After some poking around it seems like this is the place to be for Triumph related discussions. I've even seen a few screen name I remember from 10 -15 years ago.

I'm looking forward to being able to help out here on here where I can.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Tommydog Micheal Smith
Fredericksburg, Ohio, USA   USA
Hi my name is Tom and I just purchased my very first Triumph it's a 1969 TR6 and I love everything about it having fun with it and fixing a few other small things right now I'm excited to be a new member because I've already learned quite a bit from this forum

davidhendry Avatar
davidhendry Dave Hendry
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
Hello all! Just purchased a 74 TR6 looking forward to a great summer. Actually I don't get the car for a couple of weeks as it at University Motors in Grand Rapids. They're doing a Complete Lube and we'll see what's going on. It in really good shape mechanically, 28,000 original miles. Paint is an issue. Seats need new foam.

Looking forward to learning a lot from the forum. And meeting some great people.

Dave

Herman N Avatar
Herman N Herman Nortje
Oudtshoorn, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
Hi Triumph people,

I live in South Africa, a retired builder, and restores old engines and machinary as a hobby. Forgot to add, living on a farm, and not close to towns. So mostly things ge recycled, refurbished or manufactured, to a point.

My current project is a 1969 Spitfire mk3. Bought it with what seemed like low milage, but not the case.
Stripped it down, repainted chassis, and ordered parts through a agent which deals with Rimmer Bross in UK.
Well, our currency is financially challenged, and very expensive for importing spares.

Progress has been good, engine rebuilt with os pistons and bearings etc. All bushes replaced ujoints, mountings, brakes renuwed, a long list. The chassis and powertrain assembled, looking great.

I noticed that the new rear shock absorbers (ordered GDA 4011) are 20mm, about 0,7" longer when fully extended than the old ones, and so driveshafts touch the chassis, where it did not with the old ones which are 12" fully extended.

This website has been extremely helpfull in my restoration, with a wealth of knowledge. So decided to join.
Must admit, the Triumph Spitfire is a wonderfull project and gives hours of pleasure.

Regards
Herman.

kiwibobo Avatar
kiwibobo Roy H
Cocoa, Florida, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Little Red Car"
I guess I should have posted here as a new member my bad. I have come across a solid 1970 Spitfire. It has consumed me that is all I think about. I just can't wait to drive. The dash was pulled for upgrade and possibly transmission change out. Is it normal to get a pile of extra parts with these things? The boot was full. Thanks and I hope not to be such a newbie on question but if so please bare with me.

Attachments:
IMG_20160618_153045.jpg    60.5 KB
IMG_20160618_153045.jpg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1380817 by kiwibobo I guess I should have posted here as a new member my bad. I have come across a solid 1970 Spitfire. It has consumed me that is all I think about. I just can't wait to drive. The dash was pulled for upgrade and possibly transmission change out. Is it normal to get a pile of extra parts with these things? The boot was full. Thanks and I hope not to be such a newbie on question but if so please bare with me.

Nice pic. The cables on the hood are kind of different. Just beware of the wind. Lots of members can tell you about getting clamshelled.

The first thing I would recommend is the valances on either side of the radiator. I made mine from black foamboard I got in the office section of my local Walgreens and they're still going strong after ten years. It trims easily to shape with an Exacto knife and scissors. I capped the top with black plastic door edge protectors although that's cosmetic.

The other thing is the water hoses need a bypass. Right now it looks like the water can't flow without running it through the heater.

An overflow bottle for the radiator would be nice.

Hose routing for the charcoal canister and, very important, a heat shield for carb.

Curious about where that red wire goes. Radio?

kiwibobo Avatar
kiwibobo Roy H
Hello Douglas D
I do not know where to start. This is how I received it. The valances are first on the list living in Florida. I may bypass the heater all together if I need heat I may not go. Agreed on the over flow for radiator. Is there a vacuum diagram for charcoal canister? Does not seem to be one in the Haynes that came with it. The dreaded red wire. It appears that the previous owner decided to install an added fuse box. Switched and not. I clipped all wires and am trying to use stock diagram to fix. Do you know what the vacuum ports are that are plugged? The one closest to head I believe is for vacuum advance.

kiwibobo Avatar
kiwibobo Roy H
Yet again Douglas D
The stainless cables are to go I bought a prop rod but looking into struts. Don't like the idea of cable loose around rotating objects. Stainless at that. Had a boat anchor rope come out of the boat ripped the cleat off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-04 02:32 PM by kiwibobo.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
The charcoal canister is a very straightforward system. It accepts a line from the gas tank, the carburetor float bowl and the vent on the valve cover. Basically, it collects the fumes and vapors and neutralizes them with a layer of charcoal before they vent to the air when the car is parked and routes back into the engine when the car is running.

On the heater core, frankly, I don't know why Spitfires didn't go with the Volvo type bypass valve.

It would have saved a lot of complicated plumbing.

On the vacuum lines, are they all plugged?

kiwibobo Avatar
kiwibobo Roy H
I am serious if I require heat I will not go. We have a week of winter in Florida.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
I'm in Vegas.

The last thing I need is heat.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph TR7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links