Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Welcome to all New Members!

We're getting lots of new members every month, so if you've been lurking and not sure where to join, scroll down and reply below.

Tell us a little about yourself, your Triumph, your builds or plans, general interests, etc.

If you want to jump right in and ask a question, please click Start New Topic above.

Thanks,
Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
icehawk55 Avatar
icehawk55 Richard Hickey
Tijeras, New Mexico, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Fergie"
I've picked up a 1969 Triumph TR6. It was taken apart to be painted red, poorly, in 1998 and never put back together. She's been sitting in a heated garage since.

One down side. I live just outside of Albuquerque New Mexico and my Triumph sits in a buddies garage North of Seattle. Need to get her down here soon.

After rebuilding the dual Zenith Stromberg carbs, poorly, to stop the flow of gas from entering the side and exiting the bottom. Fixing the shorted distributor, and a few other items, we have her fired up and running. I have had to replace the rear differential due to broken gearing. Once we did that, last week she ran down the road under her own power for the first time in over 17 years. I had a big ole grin on my face.

Things to do. Everything. The interior is completely blown out. No top. Wiring was cut out randomly, so a wiring harness will be needed. Engine smokes, but after letting it run, warm up, stop, cool down, repeat multiple times the rings set again and she's not blowing much smoke anymore. So, my initial knee jerk reaction to pulling the motor and going with a V8 swap is on hold. :-)

Good news. Almost zero rust. It had a very light surface rust on the passenger floorboard. Which I've wire brushed and painted with POR. Outside of that, she's got a clean body. Most of the badging is missing also.

One step at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-05 02:13 PM by icehawk55.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Welcome to the forum,Richard. Hope you like it . The 69 TR6 is getting hard to find,seems a good find. Lots of different features on them! I have friends in the Seattle area,where do you have your car,Everett?

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

icehawk55 Avatar
icehawk55 Richard Hickey
Why yes actually. South Everett.

I'm surprised you knew that. :-) My friend has a nice 6 car shop at his place. So, he's keeping it there for me until I can arrange to get it moved down. I fly up, drink his beer, use his tools, sleep on his couch, and play with my car. His project car is a 1962 Ford Econoline Truck. So, we split our efforts between my Triumph and his Ford.

It gives me an excuse to visit the Northwest.

Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Ya,I'm pretty worldly for an Indiana boy....eye rolling smiley Just happens I have had a good tour of that NW area. My ex-gf grew up in Everett and still lives in the Seattle area. Boeing,The Sound,Seahawks,Rainier beer,etc. I have been introduced to most of it.Worlds apart from here though! She actually used to own a pretty nice 70 TR6. If needed while your car is up there I can put you in touch with some TRiumph people. The local Tyee Triumph club is pretty good.

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Thanks Rich.

The further good news is there are some good Triumph members here that live in the ABQ area. Most have Tr4-Tr6's.
You might notice them or they might notice you and welcome your participation. I have sold some parts to a few of them and they seem good people! Hope u enjoy your new adventure.

Pat

dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Avatar
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
welcome richard lots of good info here and great people also smileys with beer

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip from Washington to New Mexico. Get the lights and brakes working properly and set out.

icehawk55 Avatar
icehawk55 Richard Hickey
Hey Michael,

Road tripping down from Washington would be a lot of fun. I do think "Fergie" needs a tad bit of work before an adventure like that. But, dang, that could be fun. Take my time, and cruise down slow and easy.

Me with my buddy Gandalf riding shotgun. Gandalf is my 75 lb Pit Bull. He loves to ride with his head out the side, jowls flapping in the wind, drool running down the door. Oh, wait. Too much info? :-)

Darnit Michael. Now you have me seriously thinking about how much fun that could be.

Rich

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
You could plan your route through areas some of us live in in case you need a hand or whatever.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
Get a GPS working in the car and set it to avoid highways & toll roads.

Just from my experience towing a Spitfire from New Jersey into Pennsylvania, I learned the following:
- Highway drivers are jerks and have no patience for people trying to take it slow and enjoy the trip.
- You will pick up gawkers who recognize the car and will talk your ear off, at highway speeds even.
- If you need to pull over to check something it's much scarier to do on the side of a highway (Highway patrol officers and road repair crews must have big brass ones!)

Some general good advice:
- It will take you some extra hours to take the side roads, they will be some of the most memorable hours of your life. Enjoy them.
- have a triple A card or a good towing plan and a charged up cell phone...just in case. A car charger is a good investment.
- Follow Hazen's advice, there are hardly any axe murderers on this site!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Just Kidding!
- Take a good friend, wife, or son, or daughter along as navigator even if you have GPS. It will make the trip better to share it with someone you love, even the breakdowns!
- Take a camera and take pictures, or have your passenger take pictures. Post them here, we love pictures and a good road trip.
- Travel in good weather. The misery of a breakdown on the side of the road is inversely proportional to the niceness of the weather.
- Some rainstorms can't be avoided, Practice putting the top up quickly, or drive faster.

Do it! And, good luck!

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
I'm curious, do most/all modern navigation GPS have the "avoid highways" routing feature or is that specific to particular models?

I've never used one...

Skye

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
Skye,

I'm only familiar with two models and both have an avoid highways/toll roads feature buried in the settings. One is a Garmin and the other is a TomTom. So it may be a standard feature on all modern GPS by now. I can't say anything for sure on modern cars with built in GPS, but the TomTom I have is pretty old, so I would think it's a common feature on newer ones.

BTW, I've confused myself when I mean to take a highway and the GPS just won't select it. I forget I default the GPS to no highways.confused smiley

Mike

Blue-72 Sterling E
W.harrison, Indiana, USA   USA
Hello to all Triumph lovers out there! For the first time since 1984, I'm a Tr6 owner! I will post photos if the sun ever comes out again. smiling smiley

icehawk55 Avatar
icehawk55 Richard Hickey
Welcome to the forum. So far I've had a pretty good time here, and have found out some really good information about my 69 TR6.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster