I got some additional inside time today as it's getting colder and it is impossible to get anything reasonable done out in the garage right now.
I continued the reassembly of the carb. I screwed in the butterflies, but I still need to stake the screws so they can't back out. I pulled parts out of the Evaporust and finished cleaning off the remaining corrosion with scotchbrite and started mounting the levers on the primary and secondary throttle shafts. The wire rings helped getting everything back on with little fuss and in the right order. I gave the shafts and levers a little oil for lubrication. I found that when I tightened the secondary shaft nut, the rotation jammed about 1/3 from closed. I loosened the two screws that hold the butterfly and it shifted just enough to allow free movement and it opened and closed easily then.
I reassembled the choke mechanism and attached the levers, then mounted it to the body with a new o-ring in the interface. All the levers were connected and the action is nice and free and smooth. I then assembled the new accelerator diaphragm and attached the assembly to the body.
I then added the accelerator pump jet, emulsioning tubes, air corrector jets, full power jets and main jets to the body.
I was almost out of parts so added the float needle seat and the fuel inlet filter. I need a new power valve diaphragm so I had to stop for the evening. I also decided to get two new idle jets. The previously installed ones also didn't have o-rings. I'm not sure what effect that would have, but could explain the rich running at idle. I don't expect that and some of the other parts to show up til Monday though, so there isn't much else that can be done on the carb.
I may start looking at other low hanging fruit inside...