It was just too cold yesterday, I tried to force myself out to work on the Spitfire, but after removing more snow from the roof, I was just too cold. So I took advantage of some inside work and disassembled the MGB Weber carb.
I found a couple of how-tos online, so followed them and got the whole thing apart. I took lots of pictures and stored some of the critical parts in a sheet of paper marked with their locations. Something I found when I did the SU parts was to tie the levers , washers and nuts that are removed with a loop of wire. That helps when dipping them for rust removal and putting them back in in the right order.
I got all of the aluminum parts cleaned with carb cleaner and a Scotchbrite pad. I dunked the iron parts and screws in some Evaporust to soak for the evening. I also found the kit I purchased was incomplete so ordered a mor complete one which included the power valve which I found was defective.
I started putting it back together and got as far as inserting the throttle shafts and butterflies which were both in good shape and showed no free play.
Little steps while another Artic blast and cruddy weather heads our way. Good luck to all on the East coast, you guys aren't used to to the weather (bomb) that is on the way toward you (unless it has already hit).
Testing the power valve and found it would not hold a vacuum when plugging the hole under my finger. So a new one is on the way.
Parts all marked and arranged for (hopefully) ease of assembly
Soaking parts in Evaporust
Time for reassembly, got the shafts back in and ready to screw down the butterflies