Happy Father's day to those of us who are fathers, I hope you have all enjoyed your day today and got to do what YOU wanted to do today. I got all my good wishes from my kids and wife, and got to leisurely work on my car so it was a great day.
I pulled the distributor out, it was pretty crusty on the inside and outside so I decided it needed a good cleaning. I disassembled everything, unfortunately I broke one of the screws that holds the vacuum advance housing to the distributor. Fortunately I had an extra from the multiple Spitfire distributors I have. Between a wire brush, Scotch Brite, some Pre and a couple of coats of Cast Blast the pieces came out pretty good.
Some of the screws and clips need to soak for awhile in Evaporust. While they soaked, I got the major parts assembled, the sensor and the rotating element are all in place. I had to ream the hole out a little on the vacuum advance arm as the pin didn't quite fit. I got it screwed down and the wires dressed through the housing. I replaced the felt in the end of the shaft and gave it some oil down the middle. I also cleaned up the weights and springs and then gave them a couple of drops of oil, the whole shaft and weight mechanism worked freely.
Once the rust is off the clips and screws, I will finish the assembly.
A good day.
Distributor out, it looks pretty crusty outside
And inside too
After cleaning it off I got a coat of Cast Blast on it, much better!
Mostly assembled now, waiting for the screws and clips